Chapter 39

A/N: Hello my readers! If you would like you can skip this chapter since it is mostly just Fyrono and Sorcha talking to each other, but they bring up some things that will be mentioned later. So, you can skip it if you want to go straight to plot, but I would recommend reading. Hope you enjoy my story! 

The flight on the way back home was beautiful. Dad had flown just below the clouds, and I couldn't believe how pretty everything seemed way up here. The lakes looked like melted sapphires and forests looked like they were gleaming. Some other, smaller flying Kaiju even joined us for a while before they ended up getting left behind. One had landed for a moment to rest before flying off with the rest of his flock.

Like it up here, little one? Father asked.

Yeah. It's so pretty. And the air is so clean. I realized. I could almost feel him smiling.

Someday, you will be up here too. Flashes of my small form apeared in his mind, flying next to him and looking happy. I smiled at that, finding it cute even though I found it impossible.

Hate to burst your bubble, dad, but I can't fly. My wings are too small. I admitted. He wasn't deterred from the thought.

You just need to let them grow. Mine didn't grow to proper size until I was four thousand, and my blood wasn't unlocked in you until just recently. You just need to be patient. He rumbled. I paused, realizing that he had said four thousand like it was nothing.

Wait, four thousand? How old are you? I asked, curious.

Oh, twenty three thousand and ten years old. If I had a drink I would've spewed it. I knew that Kaiju lived a long time in comparison to humans, but twenty three thousand and ten years old? That seemed impossible.

Holy hell. You're a living fossil! I cried. I sensed irritation from him, but he didn't act on it.

I suppose to you I am. But I'm actually very young. Every thousand years is pretty much one year to us age wise. Although I have heard of some older Kaiju aging even slower. He murmured. I did the quick math.

So if you where human you'd be twenty three? Wow. You're really young in comparison to mom. I realized. He seemed a little irked at that too, and I wondered why.

Yes, I would. We went silent for a little while, just enjoying the view. Although most of the time I was trying desperately not to fall off of his back. Mom and Ame's mom Alex looked like they were trying to play cards on their phones and Ame had her tongue out and was looking like a dog who was sticking it's head out the window.

Hey, dad? I started.

Hm?

How much of human civilization did you get to see when you where younger? I asked. He paused for a moment.

Well, honestly I didn't see a whole lot of it. Most of the time my siblings and I stayed down in our caves, minding our own business. It wasn't until I was about six thousand when my father started to let us out more often. But most of the time that was because he wanted us to see the meetings he held between him and the minor kings. Even then we stayed away from the humans. He explained.

Minor kings? I sensed that he was smiling again. I could feel his body reverberate as he chuckled.

I've forgotten that I have yet to talk to you about them. Even though I am the sole ruler of our species, I cannot keep track of everything all at once. Hence why I pick out a few minor kings in each territory we own. Their job is very similar to mine except they only have to deal with one territory. Now that he had explained it to me, that concept seemed familiar to me. I think in one of the Monster War documentaries it mentions that some other Kaiju seem to be able to order others in a similar fashion to how my father can. I thought about watching the documentary again to make sure, but in the end I decided to save myself some grief.