Chapter 42

To say that I was nervous was an understatement. I felt like my heart was going to pound itself out of my chest like a sledgehammer against rock. I gulped and pulled at the collar of my hoodie, realizing that with my nervousness and my father's body heat I was getting really warm.

"Are you alright?" My father asked, his voice making me snap back to reality. Feeling like my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth I lied and nodded.  My response was a sad chuckle, a look in his eyes that I couldn't read.

"Still lying to me, huh?" He asked. Almost immediately a sense of guilt filled me and I wasn't sure if it was my father's influence pressing onto my mind. Even if it was I couldn't help but wonder why I was lying to him. He had proven before that we were connected in the weird Kaiju telepathy bond and could get information out of me even if I didn't want him too.  Maybe it was just easier if I told him the truth. 

"I'm probably not alright." I admitted. I felt a lump in my throat. All of a sudden I felt vulnerable; weak. Maybe I should've just stuck to my usual plan; just keeping things to myself. It's worked before. Out of the back of my mind I felt my father's presence increase, trying to sooth my worries and fears. I did also sense happiness from him, like he was glad I was opening up. Even if it was just a little. 

"I figured as much. Does it have to do with your friend, Ame?" I nearly jumped out of my skin when he mentioned my best friend. 

"Maybe." I snapped, sounding even more defensive then it did in my head. He chuckled again, another wave of soothing going through my mind and body. 

"Relax. Do you want to talk about it?" He offered, a hopeful look in his eyes. I thought deeply for a moment, contemplating about if I should tell him more or not. Eventually I decided to go for it. At this point I feel like he's the only one I could talk to about this since he is another Kaiju and he might understand. Ame has sworn me to secrecy with our friends and if I talked to her about it I'd just end up feeling like I was burdening her with even more shit on top of what she's going through. I kind of have an idea as to what is going on, so I was going to give her a little time to adjust.  

"May as well." I grumbled. From the top of my eyes I could see him smile. A big wide grin full of sharp teeth that reminded me that he is indeed on the top of the food chain. We paused for a moment as he began to look around. 

"Good we're alone." He rumbled. Before I could ask what he was thinking he went onto his knees and set me down. I watched as his form was enveloped in a soft yellow light. Rather quickly it began to shrink until it was only a little bit taller than I was. I stared as the light faded, revealing my father (albeit in miniature) with flaming red hair. And no clothes on. Thankfully it seemed that whatever genitalia he had was covered in scales. I watched, still a little surprised, as he began to sit criss cross  and pat the ground next to him. A little bit of sand blew up, looking like little mushroom clouds. 

Getting his memo, I sat down next to him. About a foot away from him though. It was still a little weird to think that was physically possible, even though the science I had been taught would say that I was imagining things. Nope, here was my father, King of Kaiju, sitting on the ground like a large five year old. 

Sensing that he didn't like I was so far away, he began to scooch next to me until our knees touched and he had both his tail and arm wrapped around me comfortingly. I felt a little uncomfortable with our close proximity, but his waves of encouragement and gentleness seemed to ease my nerves a little. A perk of having a Kaiju as a father I suppose. 

When our pause started to become unusually long, I realized with horror that he was waiting for me to start. I let out an awkward cough, which he smiled at. Trying to make me feel as comfortable as possible, he held me closer while nuzzling my hair. 

"You can start whenever you want." He purred. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes. 

"Where do I even start with my issues?" I mumbled.