Chapter 4: Night Adventures

I continued to practice my invisibility charm, but it was no use. I was never going to get it right. "This is useless!" I yell to my self.

"Less jab, make your movement more swishy," says a voice behind me. I scream from suprise and turn around. It is James.

After his comment, he begins to walk away, regretting his desicion. "James wait," I call. I know I am going to regret what I am about to do. "You haven't been clever around me in forever. Surely you must miss it"

He looks at me with his windblown hair over his eyes. "I do. Well you know me. Just making myself disapear."

"I am sorry James. What I said was mean. And having one of your best friends tell you must have been even worse."

He pushes his hair out of his face so I can see into his eyes. "You really mean it Evans?"

I nod. "Yeah, I mean it."

"Great! Because your smile's like expelliarmus: simple but disarming," He is laughing now. It is the most joy I had seen on his face in a long time. I am even smirking a little. "You know Evans, you need to be adventerous."

"What? I am adventerous!" He grabs my wrist, and I can't escape his grasp. He drags me through the portrait hole and out into the dark staircase. "James, what are you doing? We are going to get in trouble. We are supposed to be in bed!"

"I am having you be a bit more adventerous. Plus, it is fine. No one is going to see us."

I am standing there with my mouth wide open."How is no one going to see us? We are standing in the open."

"It's fine Evans. Calm yourself." he whips out a cloak, and then puts on himself. James vanishes in the blink of an eye.

I cover my mouth in order to stop myself from screaming. I could not comprehend what I was seeing. Or, what I wasn't seeing. James was invisible, which ment that he had a cloak of invisiblilty. Those types of powerful magic were rare, and definetly not supposed to be in the hands of a 16 year old boy. "What the hell James? Where on Earh did you get that cloak? Did you take it?"

"Enough with your questions Evans! And no, I did not take the cloak, thank you very much. It just so happens to belong to me. Now a question for you Evans. Where do you wish to go?"

I think about it for a short moment, and then shrug. I am embarresed by my real answer. "No where! I am not getting in trouble James." I begin to walk away. "Besides, I won't go anywhere with you."

James begins to moan and grabs his chest. "Oh Evans, you hurt my heart. You do want to go somewhere. Where is it?"

"The forbidden section of the library. That is where I would want to go if I were to go anywhere."

"That's so lame. But since that is your request, I will allow a lame request just this once." He grabs me under his invisibility cloak and shoots off down the staircase toward the library.

"No! I don't want to do this James. I am going to get in trouble." I also did not like how close I was to James. This cloak looked bigger than it was really was. I could feel his breath on me.

"I will make you live a little. Just for this night. After tonight, you can go back to being a stick in the mud. I promise."  He smiles at me in the darkness.

I sigh. "Okay. Just this once."

"Great!" He takes off down the staircase again. I know I am going to regret this. The castle is so peaceful at night. All the paintings are snoozing silently. There are no ghosts moving around this part. Well, you can hear Peeves shouting about nonsense from a distance away. It is almost soothing. James interjects my thoughts. "Taking in the enviorment of a quiet castle, huh? I used to do that when I first came 'round the castle at night. It is amazing, isn't it ?"