Chapter 2: Accepted

Hiccup's POV

"Look at this, mom!" I exclaimed as I handed her the letter. "I was accepted, I was accepted!"

I grabbed a hold of Toothless' paws, helping him stand up so that I could dance around with him.

"This is amazing, Hiccup! I'm so proud of you, son" My mother smiled as Toothless growled and ran up the stairs to my room.

^^^
Dear Hiccup Haddock,

We are pleased to announce that you have been officially accepted into Odin's Academy For Young Chiefs.

Should you decide to commence your training this season, you are expected here five days after the arrival of your letter. Should you not commence your training this season, please write back to us.

Seeing as you've already become the Chief of your island, we suggest you find someone to take over your duties, should you decide to join us.

We would be honored to have you with us.

Sincerely,
Chief Harald
^^^

My mother handed me the letter before she placed the dinner on the table.

I folded the letter before sticking it in one of my pockets, turning my attention towards the dinner table.

"So... you are going, right?" My mother asked me as she filled her plate.

I nodded. "Yeah, every chief of Berk has been there, so it's only logical I go too"

My mother nodded approvingly as she took a bite out of her food.

"When are you going to tell the village?" My mother wiped her mouth before taking a sip of water.

"Um... I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow night at the Meade Hall" I poked around in my dinner. "Could you please not tell anyone about this?"

A smile spread across my mother's face. "Of course not"

***

I woke up early the next morning. Still excited that I was going away for Chief training, I pulled out two chests from under my bed and decided that now was a good time to start packing.

The loud sounds of me dragging the chests from out under the bed awoke Toothless, who had set his eyes on me, probably wondering what on earth I was doing so early in the morning.

It didn't take me too long to finish packing, and when I was finally done, Toothless and I decided it was time for a morning flight. (After breakfast, of course)

The chilly morning air hit my face the second we had stepped out of the door, but as soon as we were up in the clouds, I felt my shoulders sink.

"Don't you just love this, Bud?" I asked the dragon as I patted the side of his neck. He cooed happily in response.

As time passed and the sun set higher on the sky, I was reminded that I could not stay in the skies all day, however much I wanted to.

With a heavy heart and a deep sigh, Toothless and I changed our course towards the academy.

Teaching at the academy was a thing I found great joy in, and something I did whenever I wasn't too busy with my other Chiefly duties. I loved teaching the young Berkians all about dragons, and I wasn't the only one.

My mother was also quite enthusiastic about teaching the ways of dragons to the young, and therefore she taught the 6 - 10 year olds.

Fishlegs taught the 11-13 year olds alongside Ruffnut, Snotlout taught the 14-16 year olds alongside Tuffnut (with much supervision from Gobber) and Astrid taught the 17-19 year olds, with occasional help from me.

Toothless and I touched down in the empty academy. I slid off him before I began preparing for my upcoming class, and by the time I had finished, the sound of loud chatter neared me.

I heard Toothless groaned as he realized which age group we would be teaching today, and I couldn't really blame him, the students in that age group were quite chatty, something Toothless didn't appreciate when he was trying to take a nap.

The loud chatter came to a halt when a group of young girls stepped into the academy and laid their eyes on me.

"Are you our teacher today, Chief?" A blonde with dark brown eyes asked me, confusion written all over her face.

"Indeed I am" I replied, receiving big smiles from the group of young women.

The rest of the class eventually arrived, and as they got settled, I decided that if I was going to teach these kids the ways of dragons, I should at least know their names.

"Alright everyone, before we get started, I would like to now all your names" I informed the class, who were all following closely.

I raised my hand and pointed to the girl I had been talking to earlier. "You"

A look of surprise washed over her face before she quickly regained her calm. "Me? Um... my name is Rebekah"

I shot her a quick smile before turning towards the girl beside her and the girl beside her again until I had learned the names of every person in the class.

We were halfway through class when I noticed someone in the tunnel leading into the arena. I wrapped up my sentence as I handed out parchments for each of the students to write on.

"Now, I want you all to write down everything you know about dragons and dragon training, and we'll take a look at it together during our next class, sounds good?" The students nodded in response as I made my way over to the entrance to the academy.

Leaned against the wall, stood the most beautiful woman that I'd ever seen.

Her long, blond hair was hanging in its usual braid over her shoulder, her ocean blue eyes were sparkling like diamonds in the sunlight and a playful smirk tugged at the corner of her mouth as she laid eyes on me.

"Took you long enough" She smiled as she made her way to me.

Emerald green met ocean blue as our gazes locked onto each other, shutting out the whole outside world. I wrapped my arms around her waist as I pulled her closer.

"You can't expect me to leave the second I notice you" I tucked a strand of her soft hair behind her ear.

"I can't expect it, but I sure would like it" A smirk appeared on her face. "So this is where you've been all day?"

I glanced over my shoulder to find the class working silently on the task I had given them.

"No, I went on a flight with Toothless earlier this morning!" I chuckled.

She rolled her eyes at me before punching me playfully in the arm. "Wow, you should take that show on the road!"

We shared a laugh before I was reminded of my teaching duties.

"See you tonight?" I asked her.

She gave me a kiss on the cheek before winking. "See you tonight"