Chapter 10: What should I do?

Hiccup's POV

My mother stood outside the door of our house, arms crossed with a smile on her face as Toothless and I touched down.

I slid off the dragon, patting his neck as my mother took a step closer to the both of us.

"So, how was your trip?" She asked me, the small smile from before still plastered on her face.

"It was good, I got to hang out with my friends, visit our old base... yeah, it was good" I crossed my arms as Toothless waddled away towards Cloudjumper's stable.

"I'm happy to hear that" Her smile grew a little wider. "Hiccup, we need to talk"

I furrowed my brows at her. "Talk? Why? What is it? Did something happen?"

Mom shrugged, her gaze shifting to her feet as she rocked back and forth on her heels. "Yes and no?"

"Huh?" I asked in confusion, not understanding a word she was saying.

"Hiccup, I'm moving out!" Her smile stretched even further as her eyes lit up.

I blinked blankly at her, not being able to process the information I had just been handed. "W-What? You can't leave me! I need you, I need my mother!"

Her wide grin faltered, the small smile from before returning as she stroked my cheek. "Hiccup, son, you're 21 now, AND the Chief! It wouldn't have been long before you kicked me out anyway, seeing as your relationship with Astrid is only growing stronger and stronger with each passing day"

I felt blood rush to my cheeks at the thought of what my mother suggested. "You don't think it's too soon for that? We haven't been together that long..."

"You remind me so much of your father at your age. He was beyond terrified of the thought of getting married. Sure, he could definitely do with the benefits that come with, but he simply wasn't ready for that big of a commitment" She gave my shoulder a light squeeze.

"He was afraid of commitment?" I asked her, still processing all the new information my mother had given me.

"Yes, but after a while, he realized that there was nothing to be afraid of! He loved me, and I loved him and that was the only thing that mattered"

"Hm... thanks for telling me this mom" I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

"No problem, son" We stood there in silence for a moment, before my mother suddenly pulled away.

"Oh, and before I forget..." She dug around in her pocket before pulling up a letter with a string neatly tied around it. "This came after you left"

My mother shot me one last smile before whistling for Cloudjumper and disappearing in between the clouds.

I glanced down at the letter in my hand before opening it.

"Oh my Thor"

***

I stood at my table, watching all the citizens of Berk rushing into the Meade Hall as they wondered what this so called 'emergency' of mine was.

As always, some of the last people to arrive were my friends and Astrid. By the looks of it, it seemed as if they had just returned from their excursion to Dragons Edge.

The gang walked over to Eret and my mother, all eagerly waiting to hear what I was going to say.

I glanced over at Toothless, who was sitting rather regally beside me, before turning my gaze towards my people.