Chapter 17: An old friend

Hiccup's POV

We landed outside the house. I slid off Toothless' back and was about to step inside when the sound of what seemed to be rustling metal approached me.

I turned around and was met by the sight of a shiny, metallic dragon with a pair of familiar grass green eyes. "Windshear?"

"Hiccup!" A young woman with long, braided black hair and bright green eyes slid off the dragon and ran into my arms.

"Heather, it's been so long! What brings you to Berk?" I asked the dragon rider.

"Well, I heard that you had become Chief and that you almost died, so I felt obligated to visit. My condolences on your father by the way" She smiled as she pulled away from the hug.

"Thanks, Heather. How long will you be staying? You're welcome to stay at my place if you want" I gestured to the house beside me.

Her smile grew wider as she grabbed her satchel and opened the door. "I've got to get going tomorrow, but thanks for letting me bunk here anyway"

"It's always a pleasure to have you over, Heather" I smiled back at her as we stepped inside.

Astrid's POV

"Gah!" I let out as my axe flew out of my hands before connecting with a tree. A satisfied smile spread across my face as I yanked the axe out of the tree to find that it had made a deep dent in the trunk.

Axe throwing was one of the most relaxing activities I knew of. Just me, all by myself, alone in the woods with my axe as my mind was cleared of all my worries.

Again, I aimed the axe at a tree before throwing it and watching it bury itself deep in the trunk. As I was yanking my axe out, my mind wandered to Hiccup. I had my time to think, and I had my space, it was about time that I told him that I no longer wished to be apart.

"Hey!" A voice called out from behind me, failing to surprise me as I had heard the owner stomping through the woods long before.

I turned around, ready to glare down whoever was interrupting my training session, but when I stared right into the bright green eyes of Heather, all the anger faded away.

"Heather, long time no see!" I wrapped my old friend in a hug.

"I know, we should really step up our visiting game" The black haired woman smiled.

I chuckled. "We really should"

"I see you're throwing axes, mind if I join?" Heather asked, whipping out her double sided axe.

"Be my guest" I chuckled as I took a step to the side, allowing her space to throw her axe.

The double sided axe sliced neatly through the top of a bush before burying itself deep inside a tree.

"So," Heather began as she made her way over to the axe. "How are things with you and Hiccup? Are you guys a couple?"

"Things with Hiccup and I are a little ... tense, but we're not a couple, just friends" I told her, immediately regretting the words I had spoken.

"Ah, okay" She nodded as she yanked her axe loose. "You ready for another round?"

A wide grin spread across my face. "Always"

***

I stepped into the Meade Hall and smiled as I saw all my friends gathered at our usual table.

"Hey, Astrid" They all said in unison as I plopped down at the table beside Ruffnut.

The usual chatter at the table seemed to have died down as all my friends were just staring into their food, not saying a word to each other.

I furrowed my brows. "What's wrong?"

"We thought it'd be best for you if we stayed silent for now" Eret told me as he nodded towards the Chief's table, where Chief Hiccup Haddock sat, a mug of Meade in one hand and a familiar black haired woman in his lap.

My blood was boiling in my veins as I felt myself growing red. I grabbed myself some food before sitting back down with my friends as I angrily devoured my dinner.

Once again, I found myself glancing up at the two of them, where they sat at the Chief's table, laughing as they downed yet another mug of Meade.

I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up from my seat and stomped out, and it wasn't before I had my hand on the front door of my house that I looked up at the Meade Hall, only to find Hiccup and Heather stumbling outside, arm in arm before sharing a ... kiss.

I tore my gaze away from the two of them, my anger vanishing as it was replaced with a lump in my stomach and a heavy heart.

The next morning, I decided to look past the events of the night before. Yes, Hiccup seemed to be truly infatuated with Heather, but that didn't mean that I couldn't apologize for wanting a break right after he had woken up from his coma.

I quickly downed my breakfast before serving Stormfly hers. After the dragon had finished her meal, we made our way up to the Haddock residence.

I knocked on the door, my palms growing sweaty as I rehearsed my lines over and over in my head until I heard that familiar 'step, thunk' coming down the stairs.

I took a deep breath as the door swung open, revealing a tired looking Hiccup. His auburn hair was messier than ever, he had large bags under his eyes, and he couldn't seem to keep his eyes open as he leaned against the doorframe.

"Astrid!" Hiccup immediately straightened up at the sight of me, revealing that he only had a fur blanket to cover his lower parts. "What are you doing here?"

All the lines I had rehearsed earlier suddenly vanished from my mind. "Um ..."

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs caught my attention. My eyes widened as I recognized the person making their way down the stairs, also just a fur to cover their naked body.

I swallowed a lump that had gathered in my throat as I made eye contact with Heather.

I quickly spun around on my heel before climbing back on top of my dragon. "Never mind"