Chapter 29: Attacked

Hiccup's POV

I woke up to the sound of horrified screams tearing through my ears. I shot up out of bed, threw on some clothes and ran outside along with Toothless.

The high pitched screams of the villagers grew closer and closer as increasingly more of them ran up to the heavy doors of the Meade Hall, all desperate to get away from whatever had struck this much fear into their hearts. I furrowed my brows as I glanced up at the darkened sky, only able to make out a large figure through the dark clouds.

But when the figure landed in the middle of town square and roared with all its might, I felt the color drain from my face as my eyes widened to the size of dinner plates.

"Razor Claws" I whispered to myself as I frantically searched for the handle of my sword. When my hands eventually were wrapped around the handle of my sword, I couldn't help but glance over at Toothless, who watched the roaring Razor Claw in the middle of town square with such fury that I feared he would explode. Toothless nostrils flared as he stood tall and made eye contact with the Razor Claw, as if to inform it that he was the Alpha and the Alpha was to be respected.

But the Razor Claw couldn't seem to care less about the dragon hierarchy and instead of bowing to the Alpha, it roared at him before steam began pouring out of its mouth and it shot a silvery blast at Toothless, which he narrowly avoided by rolling to the side.

Toothless was furious. The King of dragons straightened his back, making him stand even taller than before as his nostrils flared and his sharp teeth were on full display. Toothless inhaled, inflated his entire chest, before letting out a roar so might it shook the very ground we stood upon. I've got to admit, I was very impressed.

But unfortunately for Toothless, the Razor Claw couldn't seem to care less as it kept on terrorizing the village, letting out another roar, as if he was signaling his friends to join in on the raid.

"Hiccup!" The voice of Fishlegs broke me out of my trance as I tore my gaze away from the exchange that was going on between the two dragons and turned my focus onto my friends.

"What's going on? What happened?" I asked them as Toothless finally gave in to his rage and pounced the Razor Claw in the middle of town square, motivating the other dragons to fight the other Razor Claws that had just arrived as well.

"We have absolutely no clue" Ruffnut began.

Fishlegs nodded along. "Yes, everything was going as it would normally until they suddenly appeared out of the blue, at first one by one and then the rest of what we believe to be the pack. We're so sorry Hiccup"

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I followed Toothless confrontation with theRazor Claw out of the corner of my eye. "There was nothing you could've done anyway, so don't apologize. The only thing we should be focusing on now is getting these dragons off Berk, understood?"

My friends all nodded in unison as they reached for their weapons.

"Good. Now, please do not forget that we know next to nothing about these dragons, so be careful!" I warned them, earning yet another nod before they whistled for their dragons to pick them up so they could join the fight.

Toothless came striding back up to me, making it clear that he was the winner of the battle between him and the Razor Claw. I scratched my best friend under his chin. "I'm so proud of you, bud. Ready to kick some more dragon-butt?"

Toothless replied with a firm nod as he turned towards the wave of incoming Razor Claws, a deadly look in his eye as he waited for me to climb on.