Chapter 6: New house

Hiccup's POV

It had taken two days by boat. Two days that could've easily been a couple of hours had I taken Toothless, already I was not a fan of their no-dragons policy.

Chief Harald was waiting patiently at the docks when we arrived. Arms crossed and foot tapping calmly against the planks beneath his feet.

I carefully made my way down the boarding ramp before being approached by the Chief of the Odinson tribe .

"Hiccup, I'm so happy to see you've decided to join us!" Chief Harald boomed, sending a sting through my heart as I was reminded of my father.

"I didn't exactly have much of a choice, did I? There was no way I was going to write a letter" I sent Chief Harald a small smile as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

"You're quite the funny one, aren't you? It will certainly be refreshing to have someone with a sense of humor here for once, haven't been many funny Chiefs here since your father" The chief chuckled as I tried imagining my dad being funny in any way. I had always been the only one in the family with a sense of humor.

Chief Harald cleared his throat. "I'm sorry about your father, Hiccup. He was a good Chief and a good man"

"Yeah, he was, I suppose we can only hope and pray that I manage to fill his incredibly large shoes" I shot him another small smile.

"On a happier note..." Chief Harald began. "Let me show you where you'll be staying for the duration of your training"

Chief Harald led me through a village of identical huts, the only things separating them from each other being the numbers beside the front doors.

Suddenly, Chief Harald stopped and turned towards one of the huts. "Here it is; Hut 20. I had some of my men bring in all of your things, so have fun making yourself at home!"

I walked up the stairs that led to the front door and opened it. The inside seemed to be almost spotless, not a speck of dust on any of the furniture.

I turned to Chief Harald, who gave me a thumbs up before he turned on his heel and marched away.

I shut the door as I glanced up at the ceiling and noticed that the hut did indeed have a second floor, which reminded me a lot of my own house back on Berk.

It didn't take too long for me to finish packing out, seeing as I ended up bringing only one chest and a satchel with me. I was about to close the chest and stash it under the bed when I caught a glimpse of some folded parchment that had been hidden in one of the pouches I had installed on the side of the chest.

I picked the parchment up and unfolded it, my heart constricting at the sight of what was before me.

I had remembered to bring my drawings of Astrid and Toothless.

I brought the drawings to my chest, holding them close as I pictured the two of them in my mind, forcing myself to remember their faces.

I picked up two nails I had brought along with me and pinned the drawings to the wall my bed had been pushed up against, so that the two of them would be the first things I would see in the morning and the last things I would see at night.

I stood beside my bed, staring at the drawings for a minute or two when I heard a knock on my door.

I furrowed my brows as I rushed downstairs to open it, who could be visiting me?

I opened the door and my heart performed a backflip inside my chest as a wide grin spread across my face. But the grin quickly faltered as soon as I realized it wasn't Astrid who stood before me, but someone else.

In front of me stood a young girl with long, braided blonde hair and a short red dress with a skull belt. In her hands she held a piece of parchment, which she seemed to be really interested in, seeing as I hadn't noticed her glancing up at me.

"Sorry to interrupt your evening, but are you Hicc—" She stopped mid-sentence as she finally looked up at me, her eyes widening.

"Yes, I'm Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, how may I help you?" I asked in a monotone voice, my heart sinking as my mind was once again filled with images of Astrid.

She didn't reply and instead just stood there, gazing at me.

I cleared my throat as I grew uncomfortable. "So... what's your name?"

"Huh? What? Oh yeah, my name! H-hi, I'm Emerald Bass" She stuttered as she held out her hand.

"I like your name" I shot her a small smile as I took a hold of her hand and gave it a good shake.

"Oh, thank you!" She said as her teeth sunk into her bottom lip and her cheeks turned crimson. "Anyway, now that I know you're here, I should get going!"

The young girl quickly scurried away in the direction of the docks. I let out a small chuckle as I shook my head and slowly closed the door.