Chapter 14: By your side

Astrid's POV

I yawned as I stretched my arms, a cool breeze blowing past them. I furrowed my brows as I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the sun shining straight into my eyes.

I rubbed my eyes, before squinting as I waited for them to get used to the light.

I looked around me and found that I was sitting in the exact same spot I had been sitting in after Gobber refused to let Toothless and I enter, and to my surprise, the dragon was no longer where he had been laying earlier.

I got up and stretched my back, which was aching from my nap outside the Haddock residence. Haddock residence... Hiccup!

How long had I been out there? What as happened in the time that I had been sleeping?

I threw open the front door, not caring if Gobber was going to yell at me or not as I rushed up the stairs into Hiccup's bedroom.

I felt my heart sink in my chest as I saw him laying in his bed, completely still, a bandage wrapped tightly around his bare chest and a large pillow resting beneath his neck.

I glanced over and found Valka and Toothless sitting at his bedside, both looking equally devastated.

Valka eventually noticed me and forced a smile. "I see you're finally up"

I rubbed the back of my neck as it began aching from my uncomfortable sleeping position, where I had been sitting against the wall. "Yeah, how long was I out?"

"Gobber told me you and Toothless were the first to arrive, but he couldn't let you in so you sat outside and eventually fell asleep" Valka patted Toothless' head. "So if my calculations are correct, you've been asleep for the last 11 hours"

"What?!" I exclaimed, my gaze wandering over to the lifeless man in the bed as I thought of how I could've seen him much sooner.

"Don't be distressed my dear, we weren't allowed in before 2 hours ago" Valka reassured her, brows still furrowed as she watched her unconscious son.

2 hours I could've been at his side. I felt my face drop. "Can I sit?"

Valka nodded as she gestured to a stool on the opposite side of where she and Toothless were sitting. I sat down and scooted closer to Hiccup.

I took a deep breath as I held his hand in mine, which was freezing cold. My eyes began burning.

"I'm so sorry" I whispered to him as I brought his hand up to my lips, kissing his knuckles.

I sat there, by his side, for quite a long time before I felt the need for some fresh air. I placed a kiss on his forehead before heading downstairs to stand outside the front door.

I crossed my arms and furrowed my brows as my eyes began burning once again at the thought of Hiccup, my Hiccup leaving me for good.

I took another deep breath as I closed my eyes and tried to suppress my emotions.

"Are you alright, Astrid?" A familiar voice asked me.

My head immediately shot up and I was greeted by the sight of the young Gustav Larson.

"What? Yes, of course" I cleared my throat as I stood up straight. "Why?"

The young boy shrugged. "Well, we all know what happened to the Chief and I figured you could use a friend"

I couldn't help but feel a smile tug at the corners of my lips. "Thank you, Gustav, that's very thoughtful of you"

"Can I get a hug?" Gustav asked with a lopsided smile. I narrowed my eyes at him for a second before shrugging and giving in.