Chapter 19 Tough as Nails

Three days dragged by since mom was sent to the hospital. I slept all day and was up all night worrying. Erwin dropped by twice a day, once in the evening to feed me dinner (which was unnecessary, I always made dinner myself, not to mention I wasn't even hungry) and once more in the late morning to check up on me. He was nice and I appreciated the kind gestures, but I sometimes felt like he was pet sitting me than actually watching a human being. Just because of how serious and professional he was. I had to reminded him a few times that I was a human like him and there was no need to be formal. I'm a seventeen year old that has cat hair alway stuck to my clothes, there's no need to impress me.

It wasn't until Monday morning I didn't come to school. I really didn't want to. I didn't want to face anyone, I didn't want to see Levi's stupidly handsome face, and I didn't want to sit in class worrying about my mom all day. So I laid in bed all day on my phone. Well, not all day. I did shower. Only because I was pretty sure I was starting to smell worse than Finnian's litterbox.

A quick and deep knock came from my front door, and I slugged out from my comforters wrapped around me like a burrito. Erwin was at my door, towering over me.

"Is it my feeding time?" I lazily raised a brow.

"When was the last time you went out?" He asked, noticing the dirty clothes I wore and tossled hair.

"Yesterday to see mom."

"You need more sunlight. Come on, I'll take you out to dinner." He smiled softly.

"The sun is down." I answered flatly.

"Come on Rebel, my treat." He pushed.

I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. "Fine. Beats Wendy's and McDankus."

"Oh brother." He rolled his blue eyes. "Just go get ready."

I did as told, changing into a black sweat shirt that said in pink "Bow Down, Bitch." ripped skinny jeans and flats. The ride to the restaurant was silent, for I wasn't up for much talking. But food was keeping my attention alert. We went to Wall Maria's Diner and sat in a tiny, red both across from eachother. I fiddled with the edge of my sleeves when Erwin finally spoke up.

"Are you okay, Rebel? You seem awfully down." He pointed out.

"Nice job, caption obvious. My mom's in the hospital."

"I know that, Rebel. But you're usually so...optimistic. I can't help but feel that there's more on your mind than that."

I tucked my hands between my thighs, leaning over and setting my chin on the grey table. "There's not."

"Rebel, come on." He softly scowled, lifting my face back up. "You can tell me. Is it about Levi?"

"You're not my dad, stop trying to act like it." I snapped. I instantly regretted it, sucking my lips inward against my teeth as though I was trying to keep more back. Erwin's sky blue eyes stared down at me, and surpisingly looked hurt.

"I know that." He said, yet again unexpectedly firm. "But I want to make sure you're okay. While your mother is under hospital care, I'm the only one who can watch you."

"What if she dies?" I heard the words slip by my tounge, like my mouth was possesed. Again, it was words I didn't even want to say, and yet they mange to slip by.

"....That won't happen, Rebel." He replied, not unkindly. "Don't worry."

All I could do was nod, and play with the clear straw in my iced tea. "....I am upset about Levi." I confessed in a mumble.

"What happened?"

"He dumped me." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Did he say why?" Erwin raised his unfortunate eyebrow.