Chapter 5: Mixed Emotions

The sound of a car horn beeping brought my swing to a sudden stop. Everyone else who was walking their dogs stopped and looked too. They all continued what they were doing, but I didn't. I stared at the car until I seen a familiar person step out and jog towards me.

"Kendra."

"Anthony?"

"Why you swingin' on the swing like a five year old? You looked like you were enjoying that shit too, swinging high as hell."

        Anthony was laughing so hard and he was irritating me. I couldn't stand him. I didn't answer his question. I just gave him a rude glare. My looks brought his laugh to an end.

"You wanna roll with me and my boy for lunch? We're hittin' up McDonald's."

"Nah, I'm cool."

"Yo, quit bein' stuck up. Just come. You know you hungry too."

"Yeah, but how imma get food? I aint rich like you."

"I got you, don't worry."

        I still didn't want to go with him and whoever his friend was, because my mom told me to never go in a car with strangers. The growling of my stomach made me disobey my mom.

"Yeah, whatever. Let's go."

"Alright."

        We silently made our way to the black 2010 BMW and it looked fresh off the dealer's lot, inside and out. I ducked into the back seat and immediately fell in love with the plush leather seats.  

        The person sitting in the driver's seat shocked the hell out of me and I was hoping it wasn't too noticeable.

"What's up? I knew I saw you over in park and me and my boy argued over if it was you or not."

"Shaun...Hey."

        I sounded phoney as hell, but I tried to play it cool. I was shaking on the inside and I wanted to exit the car, but I'd look like a fool.

"Alright Shaun, you were right, it was her."

"I knew it was her cause I saw what she was wearin' today."

"And aint no one as skinny as her too."

        They both began to laugh and I wanted to slap myself for agreeing to follow two carefree boys. 

       Shaun pulled away from the curb and started speeding down the road. It made me a bit nervous and I guess he was just trying to show off for me, while was just trying to make it to our destination alive. Anthony turned around to look at me in the back seat and stared at me. His big dark brown eyes made him look innocent, but he was the total opposite.

"What you lookin' at?"

"You're just quiet all of a sudden. Why you so sensitive Kendra?"

"I'm not sensitive. You and Shaun are just rude."

"Oh you caught feelings? We're not rude, we were just teasin'. You seem pretty cool though."

"Yeah, whatever."

"I'm glad you're rollin' with us to party tonight."

"You're going?"

"Hell yeah. It'll be the three of us."

        I was glad we were pulling up to the McDonald's restaurant, so Anthony would put his focus somewhere else. But I was mad when Shaun parked and the two began to step out. I was hoping for the drive-through.

        After the three of us ordered fries, burgers and drinks, we made our way to a clean high table in the far left corner of the restaurant. Shaun and Anthony sat beside each other, while I sat facing them, in front of Shaun.

        Shaun and I sparked up a conversation, while Anthony stuffed his face. He was a complete turn off because he had the condiments dripping down all of his fingers.

"Kendra, you gonna answer the two questions I asked earlier?"