Chapter 8: Regret

Shaun stepped outside his room and stood in front of the door. He looked up at the ceiling and sighed. I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He put his hands in his pockets and never looked down from the ceiling.

"What's your reason to be mad?"

"I'm just stressed and depressed. I miss my mom and dad."

        I went in his left pocket and pulled his hand out. I led him back to his room and laid him down on the right side of the bed, closest to his closet. I sat on the left side of the bed facing him, and crossed my legs as if I were in grade school. 

"I miss my dad."

        I told Shaun the story about how my dad was raped in jail. Shaun was confused as to how I never knew the reason my dad was locked up. 

"Did he steal something?"

"I don't even know, my mom won't tell me."

"Well maybe he killed someone. How long was his sentence?"

"Every time I ask my mom she avoids the conversation."

"Well, she got something big to hide then. I can't think of what he could have done."

        I started to cry and the snot from my nose began to drip onto my lips. My body was jerking hard and my eyes were closed.

        Shaun wrapped his arms around me, and one thing led to another. It was one of the first times I've ever felt so loved. I forgot about all the pain I was feeling and all the anger that was building up.

        After it was all over, I sort of regretted what we did. I redressed then looked at the time. It was 8:53 PM and I was ready to leave. I knew we didn't use protection and it was starting to make me feel sick.

"Can I go now?"

"Dang, you tryna toot it and boot it? I see you."

"I'm just ready to go...come on."

"So you gonna leave me here alone?"

"What would you do if you never knew me?"

"But I do know you."

"And if you didn't?"

"But I do"

        I was getting annoyed because I was starting to feel guilty and I didn't want to be in his presence.

"Ugh, let's just go!"

"Alright...s'all good." 

        He grabbed his keys and we made our way down the stairs with me leading. my whole body was shaking and I couldn't wait to sit in the car and be home.

        On our drive home Shaun wanted talk. At this point, I would much rather have listened to his rap music.

"How you feel?"

"Tired."

"You sure you wanna go home now?"

"Mhm."

"We gonna chill tomorrow?"

"I don't think so."

        I was now going to have to avoid Shaun until I was ready to face him again. 

"So you don't like me no more?"

"I mean...we only knew each other for a couple weeks."

"Damn, a couple weeks and I'm already catchin' feelings?"