Prologue

Sometimes, those cuts you thought aren't deep are the ones that are really hard to heal.

They are the ones that hurt more, they are those that are hard to ignore.

Being shattered is never easy, but I got used to it. At least, that's what I thought. When I first tried to be in a relationship, I was sophomore back then, I felt nothing.

Nothing.

I realized, "Ah, so this is puppy love." I just wanted to have a girlfriend, but I didn't really want to be committed.

And so after my first breakup, it didn't hurt. Again, it was nothing.

But everything I once believed in vanished as if they weren't even there in the first place. It's just funny how one girl can change everything that I believed in... in such a young age. I was just seventeen yet I learned to open my eyes to broader things, to the things that every parent quoted as "reality". I am young yet my mind travels to the future. To the what if's and could've been's, to daydreams and foolish sighs.

Just when I thought there was nothing going on with my life, just when I thought of giving up...

I became a better person.

And all it takes is one girl.

That girl with Asian style bangs...

That girl who smells like all the hope in the world...

That girl who saved me from drowning...

That girl, who I thought would be by my side despite my flaws...

Left.

And from cloud nine, I plummeted back to my crooked path where everything is obfuscated by expectations.

She left and I felt like giving up.

First love, indeed, is hard to forget.

Days passed.

Weeks. She'd been in a relationship, I didn't.

Months passed. They broke up, I was still waiting, hurting.

A year passed, I was still hoping.

Two years...

She came back.

And it hit me. I don't know what to do. I, Bryan Velasco, have no idea what I should do.

I'm afraid that if I tell her I love her still, the closeness we have as friends might turn into as of a stranger.

I'm afraid that she might walk out of my life again.

I don't know what to do. But in the midst of it... in the midst of trying to find answers...

I decided to write our story.

All the details, minus the bore, minus the trimmings, just a piece of our almost love story.

The story of how I lost her.