PoH Chapter 3

Author's note: I'm just way too easily impressed :P Thanks for the reads and votes >3<

So, to clear it up, there's going to be romance in it, but it's not going to heavily lean on it, more like the romance will affect the fantasy part to a degree Lin never really thought about. She's a smart person, but doesn't really see much of reality as the games she plays.

This is the part where the fantasy comes into play more, but it isn't explained in depth. No worries, in a later chapter, it will all be fully explained. Enjoy :D

Votes and comments please?

            Aleck should really stay away from alcohol.

            The guy, his name is Brandon, quickly spun around, his pupils small. “What’s going on?” he snarled. “I was right about to get another Heart.”

            I slipped away from Aleck’s frozen arm and another click on my PSP made a giant hammer pixelate into my hand.

           Claws began to form on Brandon’s hand, and his chest became transparent, revealing a jar with multiple Hearts inside.

            To momentarily explain, everyone has a Heart. These Hearts are given to a significant other, but there are these demon Players who steal Hearts from girls and never give them back (let me clarify that not all players are demons). Mortals, on the other hand, actually do return the Hearts when they break up. A person without a Heart is transformed into the basic depressed person, bent on revenge. And if you weren’t aware, these people go to extreme lengths for revenge, normally ending with them being killed. Mortal against demon, who wins? Guess.

            “A Protector?” he smirked. “I wasn’t aware they still existed.”

            Centuries worth of war and Protectors had been wiped out by the overhaul of demons. They’re breeding faster and faster, but the real threats are the Aclytes, seven demons that are the most powerful besides the King Aclyte. 

            Brandon was just a normal demon.

            This’ll be too easy.

            ****

            I reached inside an unconscious Brandon, right into his chest where I pulled out all the Hearts (I never said there was this elegant way to get Hearts back. You get used to it). They were all clearly labeled and I stuck the one belonging to the girl, Ruby, right back into her. The rest I kept in a magical jar, planning to return them tomorrow. Brandon shimmered in the air and a silver dust burst from him. A lingering scream and the dust blew away. The guy should be fine now.

            I clicked the pause button again on my PSP and time began again.

            I forgot that Aleck had been leaning on me so when time did begin once more, he fell right to the floor. Deeming him too drunk to be safe, I hauled him up, the guy giggling the entire time, and began to walk to the door, grabbing my umbrella.

            On the walk home, he said, probably a bit more sobered up, “Maddy and I broke up, ya know.” No, forget the sobered up comment. He’s still slurring his words as much as before.

            “Ya… ya looked real nice today,” he said. I ignored him, trying to turn away from him to smell something besides beer.

            I unlocked his door, and somehow managed to get him upstairs into his room. He sat down on his bed, falling down onto his pillow. I’m not going to change him nor did I expect him to change himself.

            “Oi, Lin, hold up,” he held up his hand and waved me over. I turned around, my hand on the door. “Closer.”

            The drunkard probably wanted me to pull the blankets over him, tuck him in or some ridiculous thing like that.

            “Closer,” he grumbled, still waving his hand. At this point, I was kneeling on the wooden floor, leaning on the bed. “Closer~”

            So now I was incredibly close to his face.

            “Maddy and I broke up,” he said. I gave him the “you’ve-already-told-me-that” look. He giggled in reply. “I dumped her. Do you want to know why?”

            No.

            Now, unlike the stereotypical childhood friend duo, I’m not in love with him, nor do I have any shame in doing anything to Aleck. Wait, scratch that last part. That’s fairly stereotypical and we have that.

            I’m not too sure about him though, but with all the girlfriends he’s had over the years (and all the ice cream I’ve had to buy for his girlfriends and him), I’m pretty certain that he’s not interested in me.

            I’m smart. That doesn’t mean I’m always right.

            “I dumped her,” Aleck whispered, “for you.”