Chapter Six: I Understand

"That's not fair!!" Penny whined as she pulled the rest of her shoe on. Race grinned and crossed his arms over his chest in satisfaction.

"I'se didn't say I'se was fair. I'se said whoever makes it ta da bridge first wins."

"But my shoe came off!! Can't we have a do over..."

"There ain't no such thing as a do over."

His twinkle left his eyes. He was no longer happy-go-lucky. He was being serious.

"What's wrong, Race?"

"Ah, it's nothing."

"No it's not. Tell me or I'll tickle you."

"You know that don't work."

"I've never tried. And you're a really bad liar--"

She poked him once and he giggled. He slapped his hand over his mouth, mentally kicking himself. She started to mercilessly tickle him all over. Race laughed uncontrollably, begging her to stop in between laughs. She laughed. Every time he begged she said "tell me" over and over again. After a short while, he was on the ground and she was on her knees still demanding what she wanted to know.

"Ok ok!! I'll tell ya!!" His eyes twinkled as he opened them. His smile enchanted her all of a sudden. They got up and looked at each other for a moment. Something in his gaze changed. "But you'll have to catch me first."

He started running back towards the lodging house. She laughed and quickly started after him. Both of them crashing into people as they passed, sprinting to the lodging house. He slowed down once he neared, giving her just enough time to catch up. Scaring the day lights out of him, she quickly jerked her arms around his neck.

She beamed "Got ya!"

He smiled. "Wanna go piggy back?"

"Why not?"

He held her arms in place as she bounced onto his back. "Hold on."
She tightened her grip around him. He could feel his face heating up, but he wouldn't let it. They "piggybacked" the rest of the way to the lodging house and through the front door. Some of the boys looked up, grinned, and went back to what they were doing. There weren't many, most of them were still selling papers. Unfortunately for Race, Kid Blink and Mush had finished.

"You're done early Race." Kid Blink said.

"Helps when ya gotta partner." Race replied, putting Penny down. They smiled at each other for less than half a second. Then they started upstairs, but Mush caught Race's arm as he passed. Penny didn't notice he was being held back.

He whispered "Don't have too much fun now."

"Shut up it ain't like dat."

"Sure."

Race, annoyed, shook him off and caught up with Penny who still didn't see he wasn't behind her. Once upstairs, Jack took out his cigarette.

"What's wit them? They'se sweet on each otha or somethin'?"

Mush chuckled "He always denies it. But even you noticed Jack."

"It ain't hard ta notice it. Racetrack's so obvious." Boots said. "But what're we'se gonna do?"

"Ey if Race wants you all's ta bug off, you'd best bug off. It really ain't our business." Specs added.

They all glared at him. "Who asked you?!" They all said, except Jack.

"Hey fellas Specs is right. It ain't our business. Just don't get involved. That means you guys too." He looked at Blink and Mush.

"Aww c'mon Jack we'se was just havin' a bit of fun that's all." Kid Blink complained.