Chapter Twenty Two: Done

"Dismissed. I'se got business."

Spot sent the birdies on their way with a swift swing of his cane. Penny felt his eyes follow her and she quickened her pace. He whistled a lively tune as he approached. Soon walking side by side much to the discomfort of Penny, Spot made it impossible for her to take another step.

"What?"

"What's wit da cranky tone, doll face?"

"I'se needs space. Please."

Spot leaned against a post, a familiar smirk plastered on his face. She tried to move past but he once again stopped her in her tracks.

"What is it doll face?"

"I'se feel guilty that's all."

"Why?"

She slapped him clear across the face. He expected that. Quickly grabbing her wrist, twisting it around as she cried out.

"None of that. Ain't any use. I'se more than ten times stronger than you'se. An once you'se a whore there ain't no goin' back. Might as well not fight it."

She broke from his grip and jerked her head around to look at him. There was no sympathy in his eyes. There was never sympathy in anyone anymore. Tears burned in her eyes but she wouldn't let them fall. Not anymore. Brooklyn made her dead inside. Not even her beloved noticed. The only one who noticed was a pluck, perverted "king of the jungle" who screwed her into deeper misery. And it wasn't over yet. Her mind was a blur. But there was no mistaking the events that caused her to run. Race stood there. He heard what she'd done. He knew she'd betrayed him. Dizziness swept over her as she saw his eyes. They weren't his playful, loving eyes anymore. They were Brooklyn's eyes: cold, emotionless and livid.

"I'se don't need no damn apologies or useless defense tactics. Just why, Penny? I'se just need a little help understandin' cuz I'se know you'se! I'se knows you'd neva ever do dat--"

"I--I'se just--I'se dunno---"

"Just tell me you'se didn't mean it! He forced you'se, right? Right?? You'se hated every second---"

"No."

"Don't lie ta me!"

"I'se not--"

She didn't even feel it. She couldn't feel anything anymore. She got off the ground slowly, timidly. Wiping her cheek, she turned away from him. His cold yet awestruck face was too much. She was just walking. Walking out. Newsies stared and whispered. They wouldn't get it. She could feel Spot smirking to himself. She thought she could hear Race calling her name, but it was only in her mind. He wasn't Race anymore. She knew she was still Penny. Or maybe she didn't. Did she know who Penny really was? What she thought and felt didn't match her actions. But she knew the Penny who she wanted to be. And she needed to be somewhere that still knew that Penny, too.