Chapter Twelve: A Decision

Race fumbled through the hallways, not sure where the front door was. It was the nicest house he had ever set foot in. Every little thing about it was neat and polished; nothing was out of place. He stopped in awe at a turn in one hallway he had found himself traveling down in which a large portrait hung. A little girl with brown hair and brown eyes. She wore a pink dress with a pink bonnet to match and sat in a patch of grass. White daisies had sprouted on the grass, dotting it with loveliness. He turned to go back, but he bumped into someone. Hard. He fell to the floor at the feet of the woman that had snatched Penny off the street where she slipped through his fingers.

She looked at him sternly. "What are you doing outside your room? Where is Penny?"

"Alright lady I'se had enough of dis! Who are you'se ta snatch'er up off da street and den brings me here an--"

"Young man, I beg your pardon. Do you not know why you are here?"

"No ma'am! I'se don't even knows where here is--"

"Here, young man, is where you make your decision."

"What--"

"It's simple really. You can go with Penny out of here with more money than you would ever need and never return to this wretched city, or you'll be on you way just as you are. Now choose quickly we've haven't got all day."

She looked at him expectantly.  He couldn't breathe. As each second ticked by he realized more and more that this choice determined his future. And his future was something he didn't want to think about.