Chapter Sixteen: Listen to Your Heart

"Penny!! Penny! Penny wake up!! Dear God just please wake up!!"

She knew that voice. She knew that touch and she wanted to open her eyes and see his face that she knew would be there. But something told her not to. He left her. He abandoned her after everything they went through. Would he do it now? If she didn't wake up right away? Did she not know him to so quickly give up?

"Please...please I'm so sorry...I'm sorry ok! I hear your heart you can't be dead! Penny please wake up!"

Over and over. Her eyes were itching at the temptation. But she could hold out longer. How much longer could he?

"Penny I don't know if you'se can't hear me but you'se needs ta know that I'se need you. I'se needs you ya just..."

He didn't finish. Why? She opened her eyes at last. He was sitting near her on the ground his knees to his chest. He was quietly sobbing, his head rested on his knees so he didn't look at her. She hadn't realized how late it was. The sun had already set and the sky was fading into black. But there was one star out in the distance. She never noticed, however, for she always saw stars when she looked at him.

"Racetrack?" She said quietly. Race jerked up, his face streaked with tears.
He stood and helped her up, like a gentleman. But before she could steady herself he fully embraced her tighter than he ever had. It was as if he would fall to his death if he let go. She stood there, not returning his affection. She desperately wanted to, but fought every instinct. Neither of them deserved it. Especially not Race. Her head just kept on: He doesn't deserve it. He abandoned you. He made a huge mistake.
But her heart was pounding. It was pounding almost to loud for her to hear anything. But underneath all the pounding and thumping, it was screaming at her: Forgive him. He said he was sorry. What more could you want? But he let go, before she could decide anything. He leaned against the alley wall.

"I'se know, I'se get it."

"Race--"

"No I'se understand. An you'se got every damn right ta be mad. An more than mad. But I--I'se not giving up on you. If I'se don't got you I'se don't got nothing and you can't live on nothing."

"Then why did you say no? Why did you abandon me??"

"I'se surrounded by boys everyday. An it ain't hard ta see dat boys is stupid not excludin' me!"

There was a long pause. He didn't look her in the eye. He slumped to the ground and said nothing. She just stood, looking at him. Very closely at that. He stroked his left sleeve too much. She subtlety grabbed his arm and yanked down his sleeve. Her eyes immediately overflowed with tears. Race yanked his hand away, distraught. He remembered when it happened. He never knew she would sob to see his arms full of slashes sealed shut with crusting and crumbling red-black blood. He felt evil to think about it, for it made him half joyful. She still loved him. He shook that thought away. He touched her shoulder. He could feel the heated sorrow flowing violently out of her.
She slowly turned to look at him, finally meeting his gaze. However, it couldn't be held long. He embraced her fully once more, but this time felt the warmth of her arms wrapped around him as well. He kissed her neck ever so slightly, cautious not to cause her to pull away. He was still afraid she no longer loved him the same. She pulled herself closer, disproving his theories and erasing his doubts.

"We can't do this here." She whispered. Despite it being early evening, the street was abandoned. Race didn't see why not.

"Well what do you wanna do?"

"Follow me."