Chapter Twenty Seven: Love Didn't Exist

Penny laced her fingers into his and squeezed. She felt their heartbeats in sync with the rhythm of their feet as they walked in perfect serenity in the rugged street. There was silence, but no awkward pressure to say a word. Finally, he did it. He nuzzled his head in her shoulder slightly, and she went for it.

"Ey! You son of a--"

She dangled his cap on her finger in front of him. "Nuh uh. You wouldn't say that to a lady."

"Lady. Yeah right."

"Oh! You're not getting this back!"

She laughed as she ran and he pursued her, finally gripping her around her waist, trapping her arms in his grip. She struggled playfully as he tickled her sides. Her ringing, snorty laugh echoed in the nearby alleyways. In one swift motion she slew his cap across the street and ran for it. They tackled each other to their hearts content until they heard a familiar whistle.

"Ey Racey how's it rollin'?"

"Heya Spot." Race's joyful demeanor quickly withered. "Whatcha doin' round here?"

"I'se made a slight error ya see."

"What's that?"

"Well, what you obviously took for a bourgeois two-a-penny thing is something I'se be interested in takin' off your hands. And...I should've never let her go."

"You're despicable."

"Am I Race? Or is your little treasure too naive and loyal as a puppy to realize what a jerk you're are."

They quarreled.  Race raised his voice. Spot kept his tone consistent. Unchanged.

"You don't even love her like I do, Spot! I'se thinks we'se all knows da only thing you'se care 'bout is—"

"You'd best believe nothin' ya hear an only half ya read."

"You'se think no one's got ya figured out, huh? Well I'se see right through your act—"

"If dat's whatcha think then so be it, but I'se don't have time to wait around here. Say goodbye doll face if you'se knows what best for ya."

She looked into his eyes. For the first time they weren't cloudy or blank. They weren't cold or threatening. They were filled with...love? Love? No, it couldn't be. Would someone so monstrous be capable of such painful emotions? Such heartfelt sincerity and passion? He was truly a remarkable boy, she thought. His eyes were pleading, but he himself didn't beg. It was hypnotic.

"Penny you're not going wit him! You hate Brooklyn and everyone in it! You hate it there! You hate—"

"I don't hate him Racetrack. If that's what you were going to say...all I—" Her eyes filled with the salty tears she despised. All she ever wanted was love. She wanted love from her parents. She wanted love from her Aunt. She wanted love from Race. From someone...

"I gave you love. That's all you ever wanted, isn't it?" Spot said sincerely. She turned to look at the gruff Brooklynite. He was a mighty king fighting a worthless fight for a worthless peasant he hardly knew.

"Well what do you know about love...if to you it doesn't exist?" Her articulate, almost enraged speech could shatter glass.

"Because...it didn't. Before you came around."