Chapter Fifteen: Exhaustion

Race didn't look up. He knew they were all staring at him, but he just kept walking, looking at the floor. He decided nothing happened. He was going to sell newspapers. Alone. Like it always had been. Just like nothing had changed. He was nearly out of the lodging house when he bumped into someone. Seeing the red bandanna, he knew it was Jack.

"Sorry pal." He tried to proceed.

"Race, c'mon look at me."

"I'se need ta sell some papes. Just let me through."

"We'se worried boutja. What happened and where is she?"

It wasn't his fault. It just, happened. Race could barely comprehend why, or how, but he punched him hard in the face. Jack stumbled back but caught himself in the doorframe. The others boys went to help Jack or were making a big riot. Race still wouldn't look at any of them, but for what seemed like hours he stared at the fresh blood on his knuckles.

"I'se thinks it's broken." Kid Blink said after looking at Jack's bloody nose.

Mush kicked Race to the ground.
"Go sell ya damn papes!! We'se don't want you'se here!!"

Race said nothing. He got up and went out the door debating if he would ever come back. The door still open, he could hear Jack trying to calm the boys saying he was fine.

"Race didn't mean it fellas!! I'se ok it's nothing I ain't got before! We'se ain't soaking anybody!" He was practically screaming over the outraged boys.

They've good reason ta be mad. Race thought. They'se did have ta sleep downstairs because of me.

***

All she could hear was her short breaths and the fast beating of her heart. Thump. Thump. Thump. Faster and faster she seemed to fly, the world around her a blur. Everything was so loud it was almost silent. She wanted to stop running. She had no where to go. But her legs refused to cease tripping over themselves in the ruddy, damp street. She collapsed, scraping her knees. She would no further crawl, no further go. Her body could keep no pace with her desires as she lay in the street. The people looked and walked around her. You're the dirt beneath their feet. She could hear her aunt hiss at her from the great beyond. The voice rang in her skull like a rusty wind chime on a blustery day;begged to hush, but never could.