Chapter Ten: Searching

The sun cast its stinging rays down upon their roofs and walls of the buildings lining the streets. The flowers on some of the many windowpanes vividly bloomed. Race scowled at them. They were beautiful. Penny was beautiful. After looking for her for two weeks he was losing hope. He was drenched with sweat and his face and hair were greasy with oil. He, like he promised himself, hadn't returned home to the lodging house. His feet and head ached as he leaned against a red-brick wall. A single frustrated tear made a trail in the dirt on his face. He quickly wiped it away and pulled out his cigar. Once lit, he took a long drag of it and coughed. He hadn't smoked in those two weeks. He flicked it, watching the ashes float away into the breeze, almost invisible after a few seconds. Penny felt like a memory. She was a dream. In moments like this he questioned if it ever happened. But one thing was certain: Race doubted he, or even his sub-conscience was smart enough to trick himself into imagining something like that. No, he could never imagine with his own simple mind something as angelic as her. She was a goddess: transparent, perfect, divine, and rare. She was a diamond, a dazzling gem just waiting to be found. Maybe...even, by someone else. He was too weak to go through with it any longer. He wanted to desperately. He longed for her smile and sparkle in her eyes. He craved her kisses and her touch. But the logical side of himself was starting to accept his own defeat. His heart was trapped inside his tired body, wanting to burst out and keep going. But a strong cage held it in its place, where it had always been and will never leave. He collapsed, ignored by passing strangers. He crawled into an alleyway deserted by even the lowest of rats. He felt all the feeling in himself slowly leave, until a peaceful numbness covered him like a blanket. He closed his eyes and he could feel nothing but her  warm touch against his cold, numb skin. He could hear nothing but her loving voice.

"Race? Racetrack?"