Chapter Twenty Four: Talking Things Out

"Ey Race."

Spot whistled by, hoping to pick a fight. Boredom is a powerful thing to overcome.

"Mornin' man whore."

An unsurprised Spot turned his head back and smirked.

"Aw, c'mon Race it ain't my fault you'se hadn't fucked wit her yet. But I'se gotta say she was great when she was a virgin---"

Race slung his fist into Spot's jaw. Other newsies surrounded them, yelling and cursing.

"Ya knows Race I'se didn't think da likes of you'se could get dat way. Ova a stupid girl."

Spot punched him in the stomach.

"And I'se can't believe it took me so long ta see dat Jacky Boy was right. You'se definitely belong here now."

Another punch in the stomach.

"You'se dangerous, Race. You'se changed so much ya little sweetheart almost killed herself."

There was no blow. Nothing. The sentences struck him harder than the fists ever would.

"Everyone leave. Now." The newsies scattered. Spot stood leaning on his cane. He offered a cigar, but Race wouldn't take it. He didn't move. He could just see himself in his mind. A Race, a different Race. This Race seemed like a mere memory of another person that he knew long ago. But he wasn't here anymore. All he felt was the Race he knew now. This Race was dangerous. This Race was cold.

"Shocker isn't it?"

"Stop."

"I'se saved her ya know. She was very close. And the only thing you can do at that point is do it or chicken out. Which she wouldn't have. You hurt her more than I did."

"What happened Spot?? What in the name of hell did you do?!"

"I'se was just making good use of something you didn't seemed to have an interest in anymore. An it wasn't just once ya know. Far more than once. But da poor thing was guilty bout two-timing on an bastard like yaself."

He was right. He was a bastard. That's who he was now, but not for long.

"Goodbye, Spot."

"Goin' so soon?"

"I'se can't live dis way. I'se a Hatten newsie. I'se don't belong here anymore."

"Ya got guts, my friend. Don't get em spilled."

~~~

Penny hummed a bouncy tune as she folded one of Crutchie's favorite shirts. She liked doing the boys' laundry. She knew what went to whom whether it be their shirts or socks. She kept busy to keep her mind off things. She heard the door open and glanced.

"Knock knock."

"Back so soon Blink?"

"Yeah...I'se didn't buy too many."

"Why?"

"Look Penny we'se needs ta talk. Bout--"

She slammed her fists on the table.

"I'se done talking taking about it, ok??"

Kid Blink sighed and fidgeted his hands in his pockets. He didn't want to talk about it either. But he had too.

"Look Penny...I can't help but feel it's all my fault--"

"Why would it be?"

"Cuz I'se was so mad dat I'se practically begged Jack ta send 'em ta Brooklyn. Truth is, I'se was just jealous and stupid."

"It's ok--"

"No it's not. I'se ruined everything for you'se. I'm sorry Penny."

She hugged him gently. "It's not ya fault, Blink. Race changed and I'se made a huge mistake---"

"What?"

Penny suddenly realized she never told them. Why would she anyway? But...what's done was done. She couldn't just forget it never happened. So she told him. His surprised eyes were almost overwhelming and she couldn't tell if the were fascinated or horrified.

"I---I really screwed things up!" She sobbed like a baby. She missed him. It was that simple. She missed the way things were when they were selling partners: him cracking jokes and just all around fun and games all day all the time. She missed his goofy grin and ridiculous sense of humor. And his sunshiny personality. But, no matter how hard she tried to deem herself worthy of it, she just knew she wasn't.