Chapter Twenty Nine: Chosing

Penny awoke to Spot's soft, yet slightly coarse, breathing. She watched his stomach go up and down in peaceful rhythm with his long breaths and reminisced on how awful she was. She had not only lost faith and betrayed her love, but they had also sorted things out. They forgave each other. Then she turned around to fuck with the same guy she betrayed him with for what reason? What was she feeling when she hauled herself all the way to Brooklyn to make another mistake? Was it a mistake? All she knew was she loved...blank. Blank. An empty space. An empty space? That couldn't be right...or couldn't it? She was so sure one moment and then the next she knew nothing. Nothing? Was that all that could be said about it? She knew nothing. She didn't know anything. She didn't know who she loved. She didn't know why loving someone seemed to be her only purpose. Was she locked away too long? Was she alone for so long that she couldn't survive with another? Or simply needed more than one?

He stirred. Spot stretched, yawned and ran his fingers through his tousled caramel hair.

"You'se awakes doll—Penny..?"

"Mhmm."

"Mornin' sunshine."

"Good morning..."

He put his hands behind his head, smothering the pillow beneath and sighed. He turned his face to hers and she looked into his eyes one last time.

"They'll be wakin' up soon in 'Hatten."

"Yes.."

"You should go. Befores he wakes up to a woman-less bed. That's one of the worst things ta happen in a man's life."

"What about you'se?"

"If anyone can be broke beyond repair and never show it, it's me. The world needs more women like you'se. But 'til that happens I'll have to settle for 'at least I'se had a few turns'."

"Spot—"

"He needs you'se more than me."

Penny eyes clouded with tears as she closed the door behind her. It felt like her life was in slow motion until she stepped out of Brooklyn. Then everything sped up at once. She sprinted, not even gasping for breath. She turned corners and raced down back ways until she finally had the lodging house in sight. Her heart pounded like a battering ram as she tiptoed up the stairs into the bunk room. It was quiet. She relaxed her muscles as the swayed to the gentle snores of the boys. She approached Race's bed with a slight smile. She curled up next to him and sighed. He stirred, but didn't wake up. She felt...perfect.

"This is where I belong." She snuggled him.

"Hmm? You say somethin'?"

"Good mornin', sleepyhead."

"Aw geez it's mornin' already?" He kissed her lovingly on the lips. She missed that. "I love you'se. Ready to sell some papes?"

"I'se haven't done it in a while."

"I'se sorry 'bout all that. I'se really truly am."

"I'se knows you'se are. I'se forgive you."

He hugged her tight. "You'se my greatest treasure. I'se a rich man because I have you'se."

He made her feel like a priceless jewel. She wanted to feel that way the rest of her life. And she decided she would.