Chapter Thirteen: Unlucky Penny

"Why??"

Race stood there in confusion, still wishing he could wake up from this nightmare.

"Yes or no! Choose now. I'll wait no longer."

"No.."

"You've made your choice now get out! Get out!"

He was frozen and the feeling came back to him when he found himself face down in the pavement, not sure what he had done.

***

"I told you. No one will ever love you."

Penny stood firmly and emotionless. She had nothing to say. She felt the floor move closer as she fell from the blow to her head.

"I wasn't going to the police! I didn't even know there was--"

"Now that's exactly what you wanted me to think!! You either die right here, or you leave! Leave and never return and I swear if I find you in this town again you will rue the day you decided to be gutsy!!"

She was shoved into the corner. She quickly shook it off and scrambled upstairs. She found a suitcase and started to fill it with a few things. She didn't have much, but the little she had took her a lifetime to pack. She was slow and weary, and tears wouldn't stop falling. As she tripped over her own feet walking with her aunt to the train station she imagined if Race was walking with them and how happy they could've been. If he really loved her. But alas it was proven he did not, and he would soon find another. Not she. She wasn't lucky. She was never to be lucky again.