Custody

((For the record, I have never seen a court case in real life, only ones on tv in shows. I don't know how these things go for real, or even if I am using the right terminology, so sorry if I made any mistakes. Enjoy!)) 

Ana's POV

"Mom?" I look over in the doorway to see Kenneth, all dressed up and ready. "When are we leaving?" I look down at my watch.

"We can leave now." I force a smile and turn the light in the bathroom off. Kenneth doesn't move, he just looks down at his shoes. I know he is scared. What kid wouldn't be when going to see his biological parents for the first time, in court?

"You okay, sweetie?" I ask, crouching down to be eye level with him. I run my fingers over his forehead, moving his fringe out of his eyes.

"Daddy won't be there will he?" He mumbles. Can he hear my heart breaking?

"No. He is still pretty sick."

"Are you okay?" His question catches me off guard. When Kenneth seems upset he always makes sure everyone around him is okay to ease himself.

"I will be when today's over." As long as it all works in our favor. "Why don't we go join the others?" I ask, grabbing his hand and pulling him out of my room. His short legs attempt to keep up with my own.

"Can I ask you something else?" Kenneth halts. I turn around and wait for him to continue with his question; I'm holding my breath to see exactly what this question will be.

"Will I come home with you after this?" Oh, no.

"You know I love you. No matter what happens, I will fight for you. You are my son, and nothing will change that." My voice cracks so I distract myself by tucking his button down into his pants, making his attire a bit more dressy.

"And just so you know," He sounds like Christian, "She will never be my mom." Kenneth says, squeezing my hand and leading me to the rest of the family. What have we done to deserve such a blessing?

Before we are even off the stairs, I can hear Teddy's fingers working against the ivory of the piano keys. Sophie seems to have recovered from their loss over the four weeks she has had for rest, but still no one has dared to mention it. Alexander and Phoebe are sitting on the couch laughing over something, and Christian's mom is on the other end of the couch with her husband gingerly kneeding at her shoulders and Juliet bouncing on her legs. I watch Gail scramble around the kitchen stuffing the diaper bag with snacks and other necsseties, since we don't know how long court will take today. Ray offered to come then threw out his back so I told him not to bother with the hearing.

Luckily Christian gave Gail and Taylor the day off, but obviously Taylor will be on call incase something last minute comes up.

The whole family is here...almost.

"Everyone ready?" I ask. The music stops and everyone's head looks in my direction.

"Yes, Ma'am. Taylor and Sawyer went to go get the cars." Gails responds. I nod.

"I guess we can go ahead and leave." I say, feeling Kenneth squeeze my hand. I've noticed he does that offten and it seems to be more of a reassurance for him than anyone else. I lead the pack out the door to the waiting cars. Grace, Carrick, Kenneth, Juliet, and I pile in the first SUV and the other four get in the second.

I sit in the back with both of my babies, Mr. and Mrs. Grey get the middle seats and Gail is riding shot gun. In no time we are on the road. Kenneth brought his plastic airplane which he flies against the window and Juliet is teething on a fabric book.

"So, Anastasia?" Grace turns to the side. "Do you know how he is?" Kenneth stops making sound effects, but still moves the plane to pretend he isn't listening in.