Chapter 19

Hamza's POV

Aunt Fateh and Ahmed started walking towards the exit. Right then Ahmed turned and looked towards me...

"Maamu is it on Islamic grounds that she has rejected me or does she have somebody else on her mind... like a boyfriend you know" he said with a hint of sarcasm in his tone. And I did not understand what he meant by it. Until I felt everybody's eyes turn towards me. And I gave them a confused look.

"What did he mean by that?" asked a confused looking Rahim.

"I don't know. I mean how would I know." I answered more confused. And right then we heard all murmurs and whispers from the others gathered there. Rahim's paternal aunts and cousins were all giving deathly glares to me as they spoke in whispers about Allah knows what. I don't know but I just didn't feel right about the things going on right now. There was surely something fishy going on.

"We shall take your leave Humera. I will meet you tomorrow inshAllahutalah." My dad said as he got up from his seat and motioned me to follow him. "Assalamualaikum everybody, it was nice meeting you, inshAllahutalah we will meet soon." He smiled at others but all of them gave a blunt look except Mohammed uncle and Rahim who came forward to shake his hand and escort him towards the stairs. And I followed.

I just couldn't compose myself and get to a conclusion of what had the evening turned into. And these people and their behaviour seemed out of the world. Where they trying to say that me and Hiba were dating or something. Astagfirullah.! What has got into these people for Allah's sake.

I swiftly made my way upstairs behind dad. Dad would usually get to his room by this time of the night but he went straight to the living room and seated himself on the couch. As I entered after looking the door dad motioned me to sit beside him. And I obliged.

"Do you like Hiba?" was his straight question which made be dumbstruck. I just stared to the hands in my lap. A question was asked to me that I myself was confused of. Do I like Hiba? Why are things relating to her affecting me? Why does seeing her, listening to her make me happy? Is this what is supposed to be what "like" is? I had a number of questions banging in my head. When a rough yet protective hand covered my hands in my lap. I looked up at him confused.

"Do you like her Hamza?" he asked again. " Is there something going on in the uni that I am not aware of?" he asked.

"No dad.! Nothing as such." I needed answers to myself before telling it out to anyone else. "Hiba and I are just classmates and it so happened that we landed up doing a project in partners and had to work on it together. There is nothing I have hidden form you." I paused to look at him and his expression was of the one that said to continue and I did. "Leaving all that at one end dad, you know how Hiba is. She is mashAllah a practicing muslimah. She would never even give a look towards me. How am I to like her, when all that I get to see is her head always looking at ground? She is beautiful dad mashAllah, but, never gives anybody a chance to admire that beauty. She is so innocent that she cannot even answer back to students bullying her. She is so humble towards others, but she never crosses the wall to let anybody in. her voice is so mesmerising and melodic that anybody would do anything just to get to hear her, but, how is one supposed to like her when she speaks so little. She is so generous towards others dad that she could do anything for her friend Jannet. She prays so calmly dad that you would just sit and watch her pray for hours and never get bored, but she never prays in front of anybody. How am I supposed to like her dad?" I completed and looked up to my dad to his amused face.

"well, if you don't like her then the words : beautiful, innocent, humble, mesmerising, generous, calm etc etc are all describing some other girl I suppose. Isn't it?" he asked. And that is when I realised I had been rambling things about Hiba. I guiltily looked at the ground beneath me that seemed the most interesting thing to me at this time. What an idiot. This girl was surely getting to me.

"Look here son. I couldn't get to teach you much about Islam due my business, but am sure your mother did a great job at it. You very well know how a Muslim man is supposed to behave around girls. Don't you?" he asked and I nodded in affirmation. "Hiba is a great girl. I trust you when you say you don't like her but what you just said, seems like you are on verge of starting to like her or may have already started to. I am not saying it's a bad thing. Islam is a religion of love. But don't do anything that would be Haram. Do things the Halal way and Allah will be with you when it is Halal. As far as Hiba is concerned, this society and environment is new for you and you will not get as many chances to prove that you are right. People make their own assumptions and judgements and believe them. I know it is wrong but how much you try, the thinking remains. Ahmed has indirectly pointed out there's something going on in Hiba's life. Though everybody seems that they did not get it or it doesn't matter what he said, everybody very well knows what he meant. And before you or Hiba could explain them what is right and what is not, people get judgemental and conclude on things. I suggest it is better for you to not get emotional and handle things with maturity. Whatever you do or say will effect Hiba and her family on this matter. I know my sister and am sure that she will disregard what Ahmed has said. But you need to be careful for your actions." He completed.

"Ok dad. I will inshaAllahutalah be careful here on." I replied and he smiled to get up.

As he walked two steps away from the couch he turned and "Do you really don't like Hiba.?" He asked. And I looked up at him shocked. "No dad I do not! I just told you I don't like her." I replied shocked at how my dad was behaving.

"Ok Ok young man. Save that energy. And now that you don't like her. It is forbidden to look at other women. You get what I mean." He said and I nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assalamualaikum warehmatullahi wabrakatahu.. 

how are you all? inshaAllahutalah good. i know the chapter is short.. please pray  that i can get back to writing lengthy chapters soon..

may Allah accept all our prayers..

inshallahutalah next update will be soon.