Chapter 16

Hiba's POV

It was more than a week now that Ahmed Bhai had seen me and Hamza staring at each other in the library. Though I do not know what must have happened after I left, am sure it must have not been good. Hamza have been acting different since then. We just met at the library did our combined project and left on our ways. Though that was a relief for me but there definite was something troubling Hamza. He wasn't his usual self all these days, he acted strange and mostly was quite when I was around.

Nevertheless, it's a Friday again. Mom has invited all of the aunts and uncles with their families for dinner tonight, mostly as a homecoming party for Hamad Uncle and his son. I wonder how old his son was. It would be good if he was a kid and I could play around with him.

The wind isn't helping me get home early and mom must be waiting for me to get as early as possible. When it's time for winters to approach the city becomes quite windy. I wish I would have brought my car today but Rahim Bhai is one devil.

As I get home, I see mom rushing from left to right and trying to do hundreds of things at one time. Mom will be mom.

"Assalamualaikum warehmatullahi wabarakatahu mom! What is it that you are so nervous about mom?"

"Walekumassalam warehmatullahi wabarakatahu beta! You see shama hasn't been doing anything and I am having to run everywhere doing everything" she sounded tired.

"Mom now that I am home you will be seated here and I will see what is to be done along with shama aunty. Ok?" I say in a fake anger.

"Oh Hiba! What would I do without you" she smiled at me.

I smiled back at her and went in the kitchen to help out shama aunty. As I could see it everything was done and mom being mom was just getting nervous about basically nothing.

"What is left to be done shama aunty?"

"Nothing much beta... Just that the kebabs are to be marinated and I will get them cooked in sometime so they are hot enough edible while presented at the table."

"Alright then. I will do it for you and you can go rest up and in sometime get fresh and dressed up for the party." I smiled at her.

"May Allah bless you with an immensely loving husband and bless you with loads and loads of happy kids" she teased.

"Oh my Allah! Shama aunty isn't there anything else that you can bless me with?" I pouted.

"But why do you want me to pray something else? Isn't this your age to get married? And have loads and loads of kids?" she teased.

"Ah Shama aunty you are just....." I faked anger.

"This girl will one day be thankful for my prayers..." she said while walking out of the kitchen into her room.

I don't get it why is it that everybody just wants me to get married and have loads of kids. I mean like aren't there anything else to be blessed with. Anyways Allahualam.

I busied myself in washing the meat and marinating it with various spices. I placed the dish into the refrigerator so it gets properly coated. I then busied myself in decorating the dishes so they are directly placed on the table. I did not realize the time until the call for Maghreb prayer was made in a nearby mosque. I washed my hands and was tidying up...

"Hiba beta why don't you go get and get dressed everybody will be arriving soon" mom called from her room.

"Ji mom, am going right away." I declared. And went up to my room. I did not know what dress I should wear. Standing in front of the cupboard I thought it would be best if I first pray then decide on the dress.