Chapter Thirty: Mess Is Mine (Part One)

Chapter Thirty One

Talking like we used to do
It was always me and you
Shaping up and shipping out
Check me in and check me out
Do you like walking in the rain?
When you think of love, do you think of pain?
You can tell me what you see
I will choose what I believe 
~ Mess Is Mine - Vance Joy

'Okay then, hmm...' that voice again... ugh! It's too distracting! I could fall asleep listening to that 'hmm' on repeat. Or anything else he says. Or I could just fall asleep next to him. That would be much bet- woah, Jessie. Get a hold of yourself!
Jace raised an eyebrow. Oh, those dark eyebrows... I could just get lost in them... what. 'Well?' I shut my hanging mouth 'Huh? What?' Jace laughed and I tried to regain my pride 'Glad I amuse you.' I said dryly. Or tried. What could I do, I had a clear view of his silver eyes...

Since when was I so... that type of mind?

'What's your favorite hobby, or hobbies?' he put his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm. I remembered when I painted him in the park. I smiled slightly. 'I love painting.' Wait, isn't this too much like Jessie instead of Allyn? 'And photography.' I added quickly 'I love photography a lot.' Am I too obvious? Yes, you fool.

'Oh, I had a friend once, who also loved painting.' Jace said, a smile on his face now. I nodded nervously. Why am I suddenly so stupid? No, not suddenly. I've always been stupid. 'I knew a girl who loved painting too. She painted me once.' He's talking about me... 'Yeah, if I remember correctly, which I probably do cause I can never forget her, I was thirteen and she was only 12 but her painting was breathtakingly real.' He'll never forget me...?

'What about you?' I tried to shift his attention and forget about the ton of guilt that had decided to show up. 'You have any hobbies?' He played the guitar. 'I used to play the guitar.' He said, his smile suddenly not so happy. 'Used to?' 'Well, yeah, I wasn't that good anyway, so I just decided that there's not much use.' What? He was bloody brilliant at that guitar!

'Right, your turn, Allyn.' He changed the subject. Well he succeeded as I was lost at what to ask him. Here, Jace, the dream guy of so many girls, the hottest adonis I have ever seen, was sitting right in front of me and the endless types of questions I could ask him. So many girls would kill for this. And I was totally blank. I wondered what I even studied for when I was so dumb when I actually needed to use my brain.

I went with the cliché truth or dare question. 'Er... who was your first crush?' I know. Don't judge me, I was about to hyperventilate because of the pressure. Jace raised his eyebrow again and tried not to laugh. I could just hear him saying Really, Jessie? Of all questions, that's the one you chose? I tried not to hit myself.

'Nice question,' Jace you so didn't have to say that 'Remember I told you about that girl who painted me? I think she's my first.' He ducked his head slightly and I noticed the tips of his ears turning a darker shade. O.M.G. Guys, Jace just blushed. Oh, My God. 'Actually,' he avoided my eyes in this totally cute way that I had to resist myself from squealing 'I think she's the only one. I never really liked anyone else.' My beat skipped a heart. Huh. It actually has a ring to it... hmm.

Jace just said that he only ever liked me. Me. He liked me when- 'Okay, then!' Jace said out loud, stopping my train of thought 'Your turn to answer that question. Your first crush?' Wait. That means he doesn't like me. Huh. Well, he doesn't like me now. He doesn't like who I am now? Does he still like Jessie? But if he does, why doesn't he like me? Me as Allyn? My chest hurt and I looked at the cup of pepsi. What if he does...?

I gulped. I am so dead. How do I tell him? It's you, you human boy. How do I tell him that. 'Oh, mine? Pfft, it's no one interesting. Next question!' I put the cup near Jace as a distraction. I tried, alright? Jace didn't buy it though and I quickly made something up. 'It was this guy named uh, Daniel, and uh he used to play the... er flute to me when we were um in grade 6? Yeah, uh when we were in grade 6. Yep, he was very... cute.' I hope the washroom here doesn't stink cause I think I'm gonna hide there for an hour or so, so that I don't have to face Jace. Jace nodded 'Flute, huh. That's cool.' I nodded too 'Yeah, he played that Titanic song very well.' Shut up, Jessie.