Chapter Five - Blown Away

Shatter every window 'til it’s all blown away,
Every brick, every board, every slamming door blown away
'til there’s nothing left standing,
Nothing left of yesterday
Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away,
Blown away
  ~ Blown Away – Carrie Underwood

Jessie’s POV

It’s been six months since the attack, six months since I first shifted and six months since I started school. And five months since my seventeenth birthday. The guys got me a professional camera because they wanted me to “be the memory girl who always takes pictures of important events in the pack”. And I did that too. My whole room is filled with pictures of my family. My new family.

There are pictures of Sam and Katie, Ash and Grey, Troy and Lily, and me. Some were of us laughing together, some were of Grey grumbling (he never stopped doing that), some were of Lily or Katie frowning cutely at their mates, some were of Ashley, usually texting. We all were in it. And I loved it. The camera is probably – no, definitely the best gift ever.

We haven’t trained any packs, yet. They all doubt us. Well, I would doubt a pack of teenagers that say that they’re trained, too. But we are completely ready. And since we’re ready, training feels like playing in a kid’s playground these days.

And I have no idea how but my reputation in school has turned into “the badass girl who should not be messed with”. Okay, I do know how that happened but I swear that it was Tom that squeezed my butt at the party and it was a reflex to break his hand! Not my fault at all. In fact, it was his because he couldn’t keep his hands to himself.

So I usually stick with Sam, Troy and Grey in school. The girls tried to make me come with them with the other human girls but I have a bad past with groups so I denied.

As I walked through the hallway, some still whispered about me –which is not new but at least they don’t trash talk me- and some just minded their own business –I liked those people. I was listening to my iPod with the volume turned down because of my sensitive hearing. It felt good to walk with the beats.

I was wearing jeans shorts with a black top and jeans vest that Ashley made me wear. I’m not that much into fashion. I’m closer to Ashley than I am to the other girls but we still are real close.

I hair was left alone after my shower which resulted in “curls that look like they have been styled”. Lily’s words, not mine. This school is filled with humans as we are the only pack in this town.

 I walked towards my locker with Grey by my side. And no, we are not dating and never will be. That would feel like marrying my brother… and I don’t even want to think of doing “it” with my brother! In this case, Grey!

“Why are you making your face like that?” Grey asked me, looking up from his phone. He was trying to win the Angry Birds level that I had passed long ago. “I thought of something disgusting.” I replied taking his phone and completing the level.

I gave it back to him and stuck my tongue out. He just grumbled. I rolled my eyes while grinning and reaching my class.

“Bye Grey!” I waved to him and he did the same before I walked into class and sat on my seat. Halfway through History, half of the class was asleep except for some nerds, and the others were whispering or texting. I was chatting with Ashley through our mind link. She had Mathematics and was bored as well.

“I don’t think that Mrs. Hilson is talking in English.” Ashley told me.

I looked at our History teacher, Mr. Jackson, who looked like he was gonna fall asleep himself but he always looked like that.