Chapter Thirty Five - Borderline

I'm borderline happy and I'm borderline sad
I'm borderline good and I'm borderline bad
And I can't get rid of a tingling fear
You'd sort me out if my head gets clear
I live my life in shackles but I'm borderline free
I used to be blind and I still can't see
And I won't get around to a change of mind
As long as nobody breaks my stride  
~
Borderline - Tove Styrke

I stared at the mirror for the longest time. It's not every day you wake up with a magical tattoo. In the bathroom, that too. How did I even get here? I tried to recall what had happened.

I was having some weird dream in the bathtub, wasn't I? I can't even remember it clearly. There was water and...

Jessie, can you hear me?

I jumped when I suddenly heard Grey's voice in my head.

'Grey?' I said out loud, shocked. He has to be close for the mind link to work. Is he here? When did he get here?

The pain in my chest was back now and I touched the tattoo, hoping to somehow stop the pain. It didn't work. What's happening? Maybe Grey will know. He's my alpha after all.

Jessie, I'm waiting outside in the parking lot. Get your things and come quick.

Huh? What? What's he doing outside? And get my things? What's going on?

The pain in my chest increased and I made a sound of pain under my breath, clutching at my chest. Why is this happening? Ugh, today is horrible. This pain...

I have to tell Grey.

I opened my mouth to tell him but the pain in my chest doubled and I bent forward, wheezing.

Don't... tell... him!

My eyes widened and I looked around me. That voice... There's another voice in my head!

Don't tell... anyone!

I shut my eyes tight and tears fell out. This pain... Don't tell Grey? Don't tell Grey what? About my mark or this horrible pain?

Hide... the mark... of promise!

The mark of promise? What's going on? I whimpered in pain and confusion. When my wet eyes looked at myself in the mirror, I froze.

The mark... The mark had tiny crooked vines growing out of it. I watched as the vines formed, black lines like branches of trees from the flower. They stopped, and now the flower looked like it had small thorns.

I felt calmed looking at the mark and the pain subsided, turning into a slight throbbing where the mark was. I should be scared looking at such a thing happening to my skin but the feeling was opposite. I somehow felt better...

I'm going crazy. Is this a white wolf thing? No, if it was I could be able to tell Grey but this pain and this voice... they just scream "Don't tell anyone!"

Just the thought of telling Grey makes the pain return and I shut my eyes tight.

I get it, I get it. If I don't tell Grey about this, I won't be in pain. I won't tell him, so flower please stop hurting.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I am talking to a mark that looks like a flower that suddenly appeared on my chest and hurts whenever I think of exposing it to someone. I have finally gone mad.

Jessie, are you coming yet?

Oh right! Grey's here!

'Grey, what are you doing here? What's going on?' Now that the pain in my chest was less, I could focus on what Grey's saying.