Chapter Five

• Dedicated to Jose Corrales

*Lucas*

I stood in the gym room, looking around. It seemed our school colors were green and yellow. I don't like those colors. There were a bunch of students, standing around in groups or alone. I didn't know anyone and I wasn't trying to get to know anyone. I slid my book bag off and leaned against a wall, waiting for the teacher to come and start teaching the class. I pulled out my phone and sent Cassidy a text. She replied with a a picture message. She was sitting next to a kid with a chubby face, but a great smile. The text under it said,

To Lucas:

I made a new friend in Art. His name is Max. Can't wait till you meet him. :* I love you.

I smile and return her text with a picture of me, sitting alone but smiling. The text under it said,

To Cassidy:

That's great. He better not be trying to steal my girl. I love and miss you. :*

A whistle could be heard and I whipped my head from a door that slammed quickly as it has opened. He was about six feet tall or more and he was pale with a white mustache and old glasses. His eyes were ocean blue and his hair was white. He looked like he used to smile. Right now, he looked red and angry.

"Welcome students, I like to introduce you to a new student. His name is Lucas Rogers." All eyes went to me as I moved my eyes from the gym teacher to all the students staring at me. I try my best to force a smile on my face. The gym teacher motions for me to stand and I sigh. I really just wanted to lie low today. That was not gonna happen today, sadly. I stand and look at the eyes, staring back at me. I clear my throat and a boy with a Mohawk yawns. 

"Hi, my name is Lucas and I'm s junior.I don't like people so please keep your distance." I sat back and looked at the floor. Some students snickered. A few started laughing. My gym teacher raised his eyebrows and he approached me, shouting orders about changing and running around the gym. He stares down at me ad it makes me feel uncomfortable. Finally, our eyes meet.

"Well Lucas, my name is Mr. Lewis and I don't like smart ass students. Why don't you go change into your gym clothes and start running the track?" I thumb my back pack.

"Sorry, It's my first day. I don't have gym clothes." He chuckles and motions me to follow him into his office.

The walk seems forever, especially when the boys and girls start coming out, dressed in sweats or shorts and shirts and sneakers. They all just seem to stare. Mr. Lewis starts searching in an old box and pulls out black sweats and a white t shirt. He glances at my shoes.

"Hipster much?" He teased. I ignored him, taking the sweats and t shirt.

"I'm free to like what I want. You have a problem?" Mr. Lewis just smiles and he walks out his office. Geez, he's an ass. Isn't he?

Mr. Lewis' office smiles like old and new equipment and sweat socks. He has a dusty gray table that is covered in IDs and papers and toaster studral wrappers. I leave and go to the locker room. When I come upstairs, the class is sitting and stretching. Mr. Lewis blows his whistle which scares the living crap out of me. He smiles.

"So nice of you to join us Mr. Rogers. Now,how about you jog around the gym for a good two minutes and then you can stretch with us?" I glare at him and he has that look in his eyes that he's testing me. I throw on my best smile and start jogging around the gym. My face gets hot from the students staring at me and laughing but I shake it off and run for my two minutes.

After running and stretching  and playing basketball, the bell rings, ending gym class. The class of hell. So far. I come out the locker room, wearing my clothes and clutching my back around my shoulder. I sprayed on tons of Old Spice. Hope Cassidy doesn't mind. Mr. Lewis slaps a arm on my shoulder and shakes me.

"Nice job today, you're pretty good at basketball." I force a smile and move away from him.

"Thanks, I'm going to be late to class. I'll see you around." I rush out into the sea with the other students and I am relived.

*Cassidy*

Max and I are standing at the art room as Lucas jogs up to me and plants a sweet kiss on my lips. He smells like Old Spice and it makes me smile.

"Awe," Max announces, shining his winning smile. Lucas and I pull away and I reach for Max's hand, pulling him in our circle.

"This is Max. He's really cool. He is from New York and he's getting a scholarship at this fancy Art university in Italy." His face blushed up and I giggled.

"Ya know Cassie cakes, it isn't really a big deal." My mouth dropped.

"It is a huge deal Maxie," We both laugh and Lucas forces a smile.

"It's nice to meet you," He said through gritted teeth. I giggle and kiss him again, making him lose all the tense in his body. We all started walking. "So Max, do you have a girlfriend?" Max stiffened and starts laughing, awkwardly.

"Why do you ask? You don't think I can get one?" He asked, a little defensive. I chuckle and Lucas shrugs it off.

"Just asking man, relax. Cassidy, what class do you have next?" He asked, looking at me. I pull out my schedule and look at it.

"Um, it says I have math class next. What about you babe?" He grabs the paper and checks for the room number that says 156. Max's face lightens up. 

"That's right across the hall from my room. I have parenthood 101." I gasped. I should be in that class.

"Tell me about it," I said as we kept walking. I linked my fingers into Lucas' empty spaces and listened as Max talked about how the class prepares you for having children and all the trouble of having a child is like. I couldn't stop smiling. I needed that class.

We arrive at my math class and Lucas kisses me quick before he is off, waving a hand at Max. I promise to text Max during class so we can talk more about the class and plan lunch plans. He agrees and with a hug that seems to tight, we go our separate ways.