A Second Meeting

A Second Meeting

    Journey and Rifte watched as Rellik and Noxx suddenly appeared from nowhere. They had moved to an alley in the slum by the docks to avoid prying eyes and wait for word from Garigh. They stood among the rubble and trash in the alley and they were nearly invisible. They had no idea what they were headed for. They were diagonally across from a ramshackle shop called “Trekkel’s”. Journey noticed it first when he sensed a huge energy level suddenly appear. When they did not see anything in the street they knew something odd was happening. That was when Rellik and Noxx suddenly came out of thin air on the street in front of them.

    “What the…how did they do that?” Rifte said.

    “Drem! It must be Drem!” Journey sighed, “He could be hiding a whole army in that street!”

    They watched as the two walked into the shop.

    “What does Trekkel sell?” Journey asked.

    “Just tiddles and bits; nothing dangerous…” Rifte smiled, “Nothing very effective either. He sells to tourists who accidentally wind up here from some swashy hotel downtown or the East Docks.”

    “Then why would they be going in there?” Journey asked.

    Rifte shrugged, “No idea, but it can’t be good whatever it is.”

    A few minutes passed and then Rellik and Noxx reappeared on the street. Rellik had a black case under his arm and his Kainan blade unsheathed. Journey looked at the case and he could feel the evil coming from it from where he was.

    “What is that thing? It feels so…cold…I’ve never sensed anything like it…” Rifte said, his eyes wide and his mouth hanging open.

    Journey closed his eyes, “The Vrishkoth blade…” He whispered. He remembered the sword and its cruel effect in battle; he had seen it used before. He had known its maker and wielder. He had seen countless victims die at the hand of the blade; he had seen their powers, their very essence, flow into the sword and then into its wielder. It was a horrid thing that stole more than life.

    “The Vrishkoth blade?” Rifte repeated, not believing the words he said, “But, I thought that thing was destroyed? How could it have been in that stupid little box, in that idiot little shop?”

    “It seems your Spice was off.” Journey replied. There was a long silence afterward, where each one tried to decide what they should do. Finally, Rifte spoke.

    “Should we try to stop them?” Rifte said.

    Journey shook his head, “There’s no way to know who else might be out there. No, we should wait for Garigh to contact us.”

    From behind them they heard a crackle of energy and they both turned in time to see Garigh, Rale, Sylva, and Adara appear in a flash of light. Rifte looked at Sylva and he was sure he had never seen anything like her. Her eyes and her hair, her shape, all of it called to him. He felt as if he had always known her. They glanced at each other for only a second or two and Sylva gasped and looked away blushing. Rifte grinned until Rale looked at him with a glare that nearly stopped his blood. H Rifte returned Rale’s glare and Rale looked away.

    “I’m glad you’re here, Garigh. We just saw Rellik and Noxx come out of the shop and walk back into the street.” Journey said.

    Garigh nodded and said, “All of you stay here. I am going to confront them.” They all watched as Garigh walked out of the alley.

    “But…Elder…” Adara called after him.

    “Never mind, Adara. All of you stay here…” He emphasized the last sentence and then he stepped out into the street.