A Mere Puppet, The Ruined City, and Giggles from the Pit

A Mere Puppet

    Adara watched Rale approach Tarn in horror; she did not want to see him butchered by that horrible sword. She lowered her head and knew there was no hope. Adara tightened her grip on her sword and got ready to throw herself into the battle, but she saw movement out of the corner of her eye. She turned and saw something at the edge of the fourth tier that took her breath away. Her eyes went wide and she felt an incredible relief and joy flood her heart. Then they all noticed it, the soldiers and their leaders, they all felt it.

    Rale felt an incredible power behind him, it was oddly familiar. Rale turned and his eyes went wide, he clenched his teeth and a horrible rage went through him. Noxx stood there; he had cheated death once again.

    At Twisted Spine, Rychid silently cursed. Noxx was not meant to live through this! Rychid had planned this too long to be thwarted by a mere puppet! He clenched his teeth and began to fear he would have to intervene yet again. But he could not move! He knew if he did, an alliance of Powers would move against him. It was too early yet! His own powers were great, but not fully matured. He clenched his teeth and crossed his arms.

    “Trouble…” Rellik asked nonchalantly, “…Lord Rychid?”

    “You certainly have a stout ex-pupil there, Rellik. He continually hampers us. He has outlived his usefulness.” Rychid said with a mad grin.

    “Yes…far outlived.” The Bride’s voice said from the pit.

    “Perhaps he will be dealt with here, by my own disciple. They are well matched. Neither has the advantage.” Rychid smiled, but deep in his mind there was a fear that began. He knew no matter of logic or supposed wisdom would make it disappear.

    Noxx stood there with no sign of any harm. His arms were at his sides and his Kainan was nowhere in sight. His eyes were locked on Rale. His glare was intense and Rale felt the tiniest fear intrude in his heart, but he quickly pushed it aside.

    The two brothers stared at each other for several minutes before either made a move. Rale’s right eye began to twitch and he forced a hateful grin, “What are you going to do without your Kainan?” He said mockingly, “Did you come back for more? I asked you to die! Why won’t you die? Why can’t you just do as you’re told?” Rale asked and then he disappeared in a blur. He came right at Noxx.

    Noxx calmly watched him approach and at the last minute, Noxx opened his right hand and held it out over the edge of the tier; his sword came to his hand in a flash. The minute it came into his hand, the black flames began to dance across the blade. Rale’s eyes went wide and then their blades crashed into each other. There was an explosion of energy and they were pushed away from each other several feet. They glared at each other and Noxx knew that Rale would kill him if he had a chance. He would have to avoid giving it to him.

    They both disappeared in two blurs of color and came at each other again. Every time their blades struck a wave of energy flew out in every direction. It hit the spectators around them like a powerful wind and most of them had to cover their faces. Their blades struck over and over again, but each held his ground. Every move that one made, the other countered. But each blow was savage, they fought like ancient foes. In Rale’s eyes was nothing but hatred for his brother. In Noxx’s eyes was only a cold stare. But in his heart he did not want this battle. With every blow, he felt a stab of pain in his chest. This was his brother! His only family left! Why had he chosen this path? Why? Everyone around them suddenly felt an incredible sadness descend on Telyn and they all knew that they felt Noxx’s own heavy heart.

    Adara watched them with tears in her eyes. These two brothers, who might be all the family each other had left, were trying to kill each other. She pushed a lock of her brownish blonde hair behind her right ear and closed her eyes. She was not sure she wanted to know the outcome of the battle. But she knew that was a foolish thought, she knew what would happen if Rale prevailed. She knew they would all die. She smiled through her tears as she watched Noxx trying his best to save them again.