Chapter 27: I Hate You More

Mike 

My aunt was always a damn sore on my side, and I always imagined myself happy and pissing on her grave once she passed away, but I'm having mixed feelings about all this. 

Dying naturally was one thing but being brutally murdered was on a level that I was not comfortable with. Also, the fact that Ashlyn was there at the exact time of the murder and was on the security tapes before and after the blackouts was confusing. 

Ashlyn would have no incentive or gain from killing my aunt. 

Of course when the police questioned me, I told them everything about the fight that ensued between Ashlyn, my aunt, and I and how my aunt refused to give her blessing to our future engagement. To them, that seemed like absolute incentive for Ashlyn to get rid of my aunt, but what they didn't know was that the the relationship between Ashlyn and I was ruse.

We were never going to get married. I would kill myself before that would ever fucking happen. 

I also may have- possibly- riled up a fight with the police and detectives about Ashlyn, saying how I knew she was not responsible for my aunt's murder. 

I swear, I would have kept my cool but after the argument with my aunt and the overall hell hole Ashlyn turned my life into, I was screaming at the top of my lungs and cursing with every moment they weren't speaking to me.  I was completely done with their shit because nothing could sway my one hundred percent confidence in Ashlyn's innocence, but that was when they slammed down one of her past files on the desk. 

Ashlyn wasn't only a suspect in my aunt's murder because she was the at the scene of the crime. She's been the suspect to another murder, where she was alone passed out drunk with her fingerprints all over the murder weapon next to a dead body. 

Although the case had been closed and the owner of the gun was sent to jail, the fact that Ashlyn had been at the scene of two murders the moment they happened forced them to reevaluate previous and current evidence.

The lead detective told me at the end to not worry since it wouldn't take long until they gathered the evidence to determine whether Ashlyn was innocent, but I couldn't help myself. 

What if she was innocent but evidence proved otherwise? Shit like that always had a possibility of happening. But what if she really was guilty?

I shook the ridiculous thought from of my head. Ashlyn may be a physically abusing maniac, but she would never kill anyone over anything. I know, it's crazy how I've only known this girl for a week and can make such an assumption, but for some reason I just knew. 

Sitting at the front of the police station with my head hanging between my legs awaiting the news, I sighed and looked down at my gold lined watch. It was three in the morning, and I would complain about how long I was sitting here doing nothing, but unfortunantly I can't even do that. I lost track of what happened when ages ago.

Today's been a long day. I'm tired, cranky, upset, angry, and confused, but, damn, I wondered how Ashlyn was holding up. 

From what I've seen from the video footage, Ashlyn witnessed my aunt being shot right in front of her very eyes. That sort of visual is traumatizing, I would know. 

Maybe I should go check up on her. My legs needed a stretch anyways. 

"Hello," I grinned, putting half the effort I usually put out. I was just so done with shit. "do you think I can just see my fiance, just for a little while?"

The officer looked up at me silently and nodded, leading me behind the desk to the little open cell Ashlyn was sleeping in. At least someone was able to find some way to snooze off all the hours of this painful torture.