Chapter 12: Meeting the 'Devil'

Dane

Apple pies, the scattered flour sacks on the counter that I had to stop procrastinating to clean up on the white marble counters, and Jacquelyn Bargers were the only things that I could think about. All I wanted to do was kick back into one of the black leather couches and let my mind take me away from reality.

All the chores for my father's welcome home and birthday celebration were complete, so there was no better time to relax than now.

But the couch was about thirteen steps too far. I guess the floor will have to do. It was a shame that Mike had to decorate everything in the living room with white marble and black leather with the occasional gold décor. It looked so strict and cold; in other words, void of all emotion.

But it did have the perfect touch for a furniture magazine.

Slumping down to the cold and spotless white granite floor, I was finally able to find some time to relax.

"Dane, come here!"

Out of all the times that he could have showed up and helped me out, Mike decided to come when everything was done and when I was taking some time to enjoy the peace. He must have telepathy to know the perfect time to bug me.

Maybe if I didn't respond, he would give up.

"Dane!" Mike hollered again, "Haul your big ass out here and help me! All the servants seemed to have disappeared and Gardner's got some stuff to do!"

I sighed as I stood up from the floor and languidly slumped my shoulders forward. "With what?" I called out with a loud and heavy sigh. I'm not helping him with something ridiculous and stupid.

All the setting up that I have done for the party was a whole lot harder than I thought. It's starting to turn me into Mike-grumpy, complaining, and annoying. Man, did I really need a rest to calm my nerves or have another quick visit from Jacquelyn. Another little smile crept up my face. That would be nice.

Maybe if I just laid down for a few seconds I could be a little better-

"Come out here and you'll find out yourself Curious George!" Mike snapped.

'Yes, your Majesty' was what I wanted to say to him, but I restrained myself from doing anything stupid. The quicker I get Mike's silly little job out of the way the sooner he could clean things up with me. I love him because he's my brother, but there is a limit to how much crap I can take. Mike's no saint and it's hard to not yell back at him.

The moment I walked outside, a violent gust of wind blasted into my face and threatened to push me back in, making me wonder if helping Mike was really worth it.

With the fresh and crisp smell of ozone winding into my nose and nipping at every inch of my skin with dark columns and hoards of ice black clouds crawling closer to LosAngeles, it couldn't be any more obvious that bucketfuls of rain were going to pour down at us in any moment.

Both of us had to go inside quick before we were flushed by nature's natural water park.

Sheltering my eyes from the raging winds, I stumbled to Mike's side, "Alright, what do you need-"

When I got closer to the scene of the crime, I saw Mike pull out a limp body from the back seat. What the hell did Mike get himself into? I knew today was rough for him, but it couldn't have been this rough.

Forgive me for my language, but what the fuck was Mike doing with a body! Did he expect me to bury it because there is no way that I was going to help him with that. He could do all the bloody work himself, no pun intended.