Chapter 16: Angry Walking Grape

Ashlyn

Last night during the extremely awkward Nor birthday celebration, all I could hear was the imaginary crickets blasting in my ears.

Number one, they are crazy to stay up till midnight and celebrate by having cake- but I am not complaining about the cake. That chocolate cake was heavenly delicious and made by the fingertips of God. 

I swear, it must have glided down from heaven on a huge golden staircase carried by a colossal cloud escorted with angels playing their golden harps.

That's probably the main reason why I was dreaming about cake.

Thanks to Mike, I'm never eating normal cake again. 

"Ashlyn, you got to wake up." A gentle voice cooed as two hands softly patted my back.

Rolling onto my side, a smile managed to roll up my paralyzed sleeping face. The voice was so soothing and kind I could just drift back into sleep and go back into heaven where all the chocolate cakes are.

I wormed a little deeper into my covers and snuggled up against the soft satin sheets of the pillow. "Mhmmm." I sighed happily as I gently tucked my arms underneath the pillow and felt the cool sheets kiss and caress my arms.

Sleep will forever be my one and only true love. If I could, I would get married to it but stupid life always gets in the way. 

"Can you please wake up?" The voice asked again, but in a tone more irritated then before. "Ah, screw it. Wake up!"

A foot dug into my back, kicking me off the bed and onto the floor, my stomach making a heavy landing on my shoes. I could feel the rubber soles of my converse digging into my gut and being permanently smashed into my stomach for good.

While other girls have cute little belly button rings, I will have two converse. I will be some serious competition to beat, I tell you.

Ugh, I hate mornings. Why do they always have to be so painful?

I groaned and clambered up the bed to find my pillow. This morning will not slip by me this easily and I will not give it up. Whoever was waking me up will have to go through hell to get me out of bed because I am going to sleep in darn it.

It was the Nor's fault for having me stay up till midnight. I am not the best night owl out there, and I am the type of person who needs her eight hours of sleep.

Two hands grasped my shoulders and shook me up and down. "Wake up now, damn it! I know you want to leave as much as I do, so wake up and I'll drive you back home."

Doing my best to shake off the hands that were trying to raise me from the dead, I shook my head- my eyes still clamped shut and refusing to greet the first rays of dawn.

Right now, I couldn't tell who was trying to wake me up, but I didn't care who I slapped.

"Kid," I grumbled as I grabbed whatever was in front of me, which I assume was a forehead from the lack of elasticity from the skin "you wake me up when it has been eight hours. Now thank you little angel, I will fall asleep now."

"What the hell is wrong with you? Let go of my face, and for your information it has been eleven hours, so it's prime time for you to get up."

My eyes shot wide open and I sprung up to a sitting position, doing my best to let my eyes endure the pain of them shrinking back into my brains from the sudden exposure to light. 

I couldn't believe I slept in. This has never happened to me before so something was seriously wrong. And to think that I thought Mike's voice sounded like an angel? There must have been too much family drama for me last night.