No. 1

I sat on the cold church floor as I watched Dally eat the last piece of bologna. I never liked it anyways so why did I care if he ate it? It was the last of our food though, and Dally had borrowed money off of Darry just to get up here.

"I want to go back now, Dal." Johnny stated out of the blue. Dally only nodded and got up.

"Come on Pony, get up and let's go." Dally took a drag of his lit cigarette and blew the smoke out as he pushed open the door of the old church. Johnny walked out with his hands in his pockets, head down and the same sad look in his eyes.

I trailed behind Johnny and hopped in the passenger seat. Dally started the engine and hit the gas.

"Hey Dal, we're going home right?" Dallas never answered but kept his eyes on the road and the cigarette in his mouth. Johnny tapped my shoulder lightly, getting my attention.

"Pony, do you think the fuzz'll be lookin' for us?" I choked on my words.

"I don't know," I whispered, "But all I do know is that Darry is going to kick my ass when he sees me." I looked at the now setting sun and Dally slowed the car and pulled into an abandoned parking lot.

"We ain't goin' to make it back in the dark, get some sleep, I'll go call Darry." He pointed to a payphone on a pole next to a small, run down motel. I nodded and looked back at Johnny to see him already asleep, laying across the back seat. I shifted my body, ensuring I was comfy. I didn't want to close my eyes because I wasn't tired, but I have nothing else to do.

I took one last glance at Johnny, then at Dally, and shut off all the thoughts in my head.

Johnny shook me awake, yelling at me.

"Pony! Hey, Ponyboy get up!"