Chapter 1: Into a New State

Prelude

A man walks alone down a deserted country road. No longer the boy he once was, now age twenty-two, he has been on his own for the last nine years. Time and age have changed his appearance from boy to man. He is tall, standing a few inches over six feet. His thighs and calves are pure muscle from all the years of running, jumping and climbing. The skin on his arms are tight showing every ripple and large toned muscle. His broad chest, shoulders and back are perfectly toned, like fine, hard chiseled marble. His stomach is slender and flat, curving into a flawless V. His face, mature, and his jaw is fixed with resolve. There are deep, wide scars from his mouth that creep up both cheeks, causing a permanent smile on his face. The inside of his cheeks has long since healed, fusing the skin back together, only the deep outer scars remain. Over the years his lips have slowly turned from a dark crimson to a light coral. He hides his dark unblinking eyes behind mirrored sunglasses to reflect the harsh rays of the sun. Dark scars are still visible around his eyes, where his eyelids have been scorched causing them to be forever opened. He allows his long jet-black hair to hang down, covering most of his face and spilling over his shoulders stopping a quarter of the way down his back. His pure white skin, never tanning, even in the most brutal sunlight, is illuminated by the brightness of day. He wears black combat boots, straight legged, black jeans, and a skin tight black muscle shirt. His large, strong hands clutch the straps of the campers backpack he carries with him as he continues the long trek ahead of him. For the most part, he is the perfect example of a strong, healthy young man.

~~~~~~

Into a New State

I've been walking for a couple of weeks now, looking for a new town that I can settle into for a while. Traveling the long country road ahead of me, it looks to be the border of a new state. Crossing the border is a sign greeting all those entering the state that reads, 'Welcome to Texas'.

'What the fuck am I doing in Texas?!' I can't help but think this to myself. 'Oh well, Texas is as good a place as any, I guess.'

It's the first week of September and incredibly hot here. There are few trees to help block the blinding sun and intense heat.

Wearing all black in this state is the worst. As I think this, I stop to reach into my backpack and pull out a bottle of water. The water is warm, almost hot, but at least I can stay hydrated.

Four days into Texas and I feel as if I've made a horrible mistake. The days are long and hot. And the farther south I go, the higher the humidity seem to get. I have covered somewhere around one hundred eighty miles and am deep within the state now. It would be more of a pain in the ass to try and leave this accursed state than its worth. I stay off the main roads and break into houses when I need supplies. Though the houses are few and far in between. So, every time I have the chance, I take advantage. I continue down another lonely country road with only an occasional truck or motorcycle passing by. I avert my head letting my long, black hair hang down to avoid my face from being seen. As the day turns to evening and the sun cast long shadows across the road, my mind starts to falter and that familiar, unsettling feeling begins to take over. I'll have to stop soon. There are very few houses on this road, with several acres between them. As I press on, I can see a single-story house just up ahead.

'This looks like a good place to take care of business.' I make my decision as I come to the edge of the property.

Finding a place to lie low, I keep out of sight until the time is right. A short time after nightfall all the lights in the house go out, indicating that those inside have turned in for the night. I wait a while longer to make sure everyone inside is asleep before I make my move.