Chapter 11: Dark Carnival

Jessie's Point of View

Even though I had a horrible weekend with Jeff, I am able to keep my composure around Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, and especially around Buck. Things continue to progress normally at work and even Jeff isn't being a complete asshole most of the time. Days turn to weeks and soon it's the end of October.

"Hey Jess, what are you doing for Halloween?" Buck inquires with a smile.

It's Friday and tomorrow is Halloween. "Oh, I'm just going to hangout around the house."

"That sounds boring. You wanna go out and have some fun?" He beams at me.

'God why do I always have to disappoint him?' "Oh Buck, I'm sorry, but I'm really not in the mood to go out."

"Are you okay? It seems like you don't want to do anything anymore." He gives me a concerned look.

"Don't worry. I guess I'm just in a slump. But I'm fine, I promise." I smile up at him.

"Okay...I trust you, Jess." He places his hand on my shoulder, then walks off.

'Ugh! I hate lying to him! This is all Jeffs fault!'

I finish out the day and pick Jeff up on the way home, as usual. We ride in silence the whole way home. I get in the shower as soon as we get home and start making supper afterward. Jeff takes a shower while I'm busy in the kitchen. As soon as we're done eating, I get the kitchen cleaned up, then head straight to bed. After a while, I hear the front door open and close, indicating that Jeff has left. Throughout the last couple of weeks, he has been leaving most nights and returning sometime in the early morning hours. Even though he's been gone quite a bit, there hasn't been any news reports of any new killings. And he hasn't received any new wounds. I just hope it stays that way.

. . . . . . . . .

After waking up and getting dressed, I head to the kitchen. Jeff is lying on the sofa fast asleep. I quietly make myself something to eat, then take a book from the bookshelf, sit in the living room, and read. It's several hours later when Jeff finally wakes.

"Hey." He catches my attention as he sits up, slipping his sleeping mask off. "We're going out tonight."

"What?" His declaration surprises me. 'What does he mean we're going out?'

He grabs his backpack and pulls some clothing out. "Here," he throws the clothes in my lap. "Put these on and get ready."

Still stunned, I look over at him. "How can we go out? Won't people see you?"

"Have you forgotten what day it is? It's Halloween. Today's the only day I can walk around freely without suspicion." He gives me a look that says don't be so stupid. "So, get dressed and make up your face."

"Oh, okay." I nod and take the clothes to the bathroom. 'Ugh! I can't believe Jeff is making me go out after I had to reject Buck!'

Once I'm in the bathroom, I find some leftover makeup from the last Halloween and set it on the counter. I start putting on the clothes Jeff gave me. First, I slip on a long, long sleeved white nightgown that seems to be covered in dried blood. Next, I pull on some dingy white leggings and socks. Lastly, there are some rubber soled white slippers I slide my feet into. After I'm done dressing, I go with the dead girl look. I use latex to create slashes on my face and across my neck, then use white makeup as the base, black for the accents around the eyes, cheeks, and lips. Then, finally I use red and black makeup along with fake blood for the cuts I created with the latex. I make my hair disheveled and tangled looking to complete the effect. Satisfied with the end result, I head back to the living room. Jeff is standing in the middle of the living room, clothed in the same attire as usual, along with a white bloodstained hoodie I've never seen before.