Chapter 5: Invasion

Jessie's Point of View

After Buck leaves, I open the door and step inside. I flip on the light and instantly freeze. I am unable to move from where I stand. My eyes widen with shock and fear, for standing right in front of me, is a man I have never seen before.

Then, it happens. In a blink of an eye he has me pinned against the door with one arm pressed across my chest and a knife to my throat with his other hand.

"If you scream, I'll slit your throat." The man growls in a low, deep voice.

A lump is caught in my throat and my heart starts pounding wildly with fear. All I can do is stare up at the man's terrifying face. His long, jet black hair tumbles over his shoulders as he leans in over me. The first thing I notice are his eyes, large, dark, and ominous, staring menacingly into my own. I can see there's something terribly wrong with those eyes. His eyelids are marked with dark scar tissue, as if somehow the eyelids have been burned. Finally, I'm able to avert my eyes from his, I look at the rest of his face. His skin is pure white and looks like tight, smooth leather. Then, my eyes fall to his mouth. His light coral lips are turned up into an evil grin that doesn't stop at the edges of his mouth. That grin seems to be cut into his very skin, creeping up both cheeks, making the grin permanent on his face. Every inch of my body trembles with fear and my heart is pounding so hard it makes my chest tight and full of pain. My breathing has become labored as my knees buckle from under me. The man takes a step back, releasing me. Unable to control my body, I collapse to the floor. As I'm slumped on the floor, my head hangs low, my breathing ragged. The man kneels in front of me.

"Breathe!" He orders.

'Wait! That voice! I know that voice!' Realization floods my mind, as the memory of the other night hits hard.

I stare down at the man's black boots, noticing how close he is to me. Instead of breathing like I was told, I begin to hyperventilate. Soon, my vision becomes blurry and blackness creeps in and out.

"Damn it!" His loud voice is the last thing I hear before I black out.

. . . . . . . . .

I wake up squinting and blinking to bright sunlight streaming in through the window. I'm lying on my back in bed staring up at the white ceiling above me.

'How the hell did I end up in my bed?!'. I can't remember anything. Rolling over, I look at the clock on the nightstand. 11:15am. 'Damn, it's late. I need to get up.' I throw the covers off to the side and realize Im still in my clothes from last night. 'What the...I never sleep in my clothes!' I really wish I could remember what happened. I go to sit up and a wave of pain shoots straight through my head. I clutch my throbbing head with both hands. I must have had too much to drink last night, I feel like I have a hangover. That has to be why I can't remember anything. Pushing past the pain in my head, I force myself up. I grab some clean clothes and head straight for the bathroom. Taking out the ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet, I tap out two pills. I use a small cup I keep on the counter to get water from the sink. After I swallow the pills and do my business, I climb into the tub. I stand under the warm water of the shower letting it relax me and dull the pain in my head. When I finish, I step out of the shower feeling much better than I did before. I still can't remember anything, though. 'Oh well.'

I finish getting dressed, brush out my hair, then enter the hallway. As I step into the living room, something catches my eye stopping me in my tracks. I take a step back. There is someone sitting on the sofa. Even from the back, I can tell that the person is a tall man with jet black hair. I slowly and quietly slip back into my bedroom, silently closing the door behind me. Scared out of my mind, I slump down on the bed, elbows on my knees, I burry my face in my hands. Tears well up in my eyes as shivers run down my spine. I start getting bits and pieces of what occurred last night; a man, a knife, black boots...Just as my memory starts to come back to me, the door to my room flies open. Startled, I snap my head towards the door and the man that was just sitting in the living room steps inside. Fear courses through me as I instinctively slide across the bed trying desperately to put some distance between us. In the light of day, I can see the man clearly, he's tall, lean, and muscular. His dark grey eyes are fixed on me as he advances toward me.