Chapter 17: Goodbye

Jeff's Point of View

"Jessie!" I watch as she falls to the floor. Looking up, I see Buck running from the house. "You bastard!"

I quickly scoop Jessie up in my arms and head for the bedroom. Gently laying her on the bed, I check her vitals. She has a pulse, and her breathing is shallow but steady. I sigh in relief, then take my knife and cut open her nightshirt. I quickly look over her body, then I spot it. There's a hole about the size of a penny in her left shoulder. I cut away the sleeve of the nightshirt and gingerly roll her over on her side. Leaning over, I check her back. There's no exit wound.

"Shit! This isn't good!"

The bullet is lodged in her shoulder. Carefully laying her back down, I cover her up to her shoulders. I'll have to work quickly to remove the bullet. I leave the room to gather everything I'll need. First, I close the front door. Luckily when that pretty boy busted in, he didn't do that much damage. I'm able to close the door completely and use the lock to keep it closed. Then, I get all the materials and head back to Jessie. It's a good thing she's out cold, otherwise this would hurt like hell. I use rubbing alcohol to clean the area around her shoulder and to sterilize the long slender boning knife. Taking a deep breath, I cut into her flesh. I cut deep into the muscle. It takes a while to locate the bullet, then using a sterilized pair of long cooking tweezers, I'm able to remove it. After successfully removing the bullet I close up her skin using the same needle and cotton thread I had used on myself. I finish up by covering the stitches with gauze and medical tape.

She needs to keep her left arm immobile until her shoulder heals. I use two long bandages to wrap around her body and arm, binding her arm tightly against her body. I slip a clean nightshirt onto her body, putting only her right arm through the shirt's sleeve. I cover her back up, making sure she's comfortable before taking all the items I used back out of the room.

Now that the bullet has been removed from her body and she's out of immediate danger, I go into the living room and slump down on the sofa. I turn on the TV and there's a special news report on.

' "A man in his mid-thirties was found dead this morning in his home when his sister came for a visit. The man, a registered sex offender, was stabbed multiple times. It is unknown at this time who could have carried out such an act. Authorities do not believe that this was done by the same person that has killed several people in the last few months, since the murder was done in a completely different manner. Police are asking if anyone has any information on this case to please contact the sheriff's department. We go now to Dave in weather..."

As I turn the channel, I can't help but grin, remembering Jessie's reactions last night as she was going through the motions. The hate and resentment when she found out who the man was, the rage and taking revenge for the children, then the shock and anguish of what she had done. It was beautiful. Then, my thoughts go from last night to this morning. I grimace at the image in my head of Jessie throwing herself in front of me and collapsing onto the floor after being shot. 'Why?! Why would she risk her life to save the likes of me?! I would never risk my own life to safe another! So, why?!' I just can't wrap my head around it. As I sit there in deep thought I hear a noise coming from the bedroom.

"Nnngh" It sounds like Jessie's starting to wake. "AUGH!"

I spring up when I hear her scream and run into the bedroom. She's lying on her back breathing heavily and tears streaming down her face. I sit next to her on the bed and take her right hand in both of mine.

She looks up at me with pain filled eyes. "It hurts..." Her voice is soft and shaking.

"Yeah...I know." I respond quietly.