Chapter 9: Homesick at Space Camp

Tonight the headphones will deliver words that I can't say.

These friends are new. These friends are golden.

***A/N: Hi sorry this is late. It's been a really stressful week this week so I had to buckle down and focus on school. Speaking of which, my laptop isn't back yet (it hasn't even been shipped off) so I'm going to have to put this story on a temporary hiatus. I can't find any time to write or upload. Sorry about that guys but I'll try to back asap. I hope I see you all soon! Tell me what you think of this chapter below. Love you all!***

Brooklyn walked into her room for the first time after two weeks. She stopped in the doorway and looked into the room. Memories of the last time she was in the room flooded her mind. Everything was blurry but she could make out her mother's face perfectly through the foggy flashbacks. She saw the look of concern, worry, and frustration along with the tears of sadness that made up the complex emotion that Brooklyn couldn't quite name. She saw everything around her covered in a thick, red substance that she knew was her blood but she didn't want to admit it. Everything was covered. The next thing she remembered after that was- "Brooklyn?" Lexie asked walking up behind the girl stopped in the doorway. "Are you... okay?"

Brooklyn nodded her head silently as she stared straight ahead into the room. "Yeah." She snapped herself out of her daze. "I'm-I'm fine. Just... fine."

"Can I talk to you?" Lexie asked walking into the room. Brooklyn nodded and forced her legs to move into the room after her mother, remembering the paramedics. Looking down at the floor, light blood stains were still visible. She couldn't pull her eyes away. Lexie noticed where the younger brunette was staring. "I'm sorry I couldn't get it all out. We tried everything. We'll probably have to replace that before we move."

Brooklyn furrowed her brow and turned to face her mother. "Move? Why are we moving? Where?"

"I pulled some strings and got my old job back in Seattle. I start in a few weeks. I thought this would be good for us." Brooklyn nodded and sat in silence which concerned Lexie. That was definitely not like her. "Brooklyn?"

"That's great." Brooklyn smiled. "I'm excited. I am. I'm just tired right now, and I'm back in here. It's just bringing back some memories."

"I know sweetie. I can't imagine what this is like for you." Lexie took her into a hug. "Right now, I don't want you to be alone. I know you won't do anything but I have to be sure. So, for a while leave the doors open and just try to spend sometime downstairs with me."

Brooklyn understood where her mother was coming from. She almost didn't trust herself, she knew Lexie had no reason to trust her either. "How are you going to work if you can't leave me alone?"

"I have it scheduled so that I only have a few patients. You can come to work with me or you can see if anyone wants to come over here or you can go over there. I'm only working a few very short days in the next two weeks though."

Brooklyn nodded. "I guess I can go play with the kids in the daycare while you work." She looked around at her room. "I should probably start packing."

"I went and got boxes before you came home. They're in the garage when you need them."

"Okay. Thanks Mom. I think I'm going to try and get a little sleep before I start though. I slept horribly the past two weeks. Hospital beds are so uncomfortable." Brooklyn laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling as Lexie walked out of the room. She couldn't close her eyes without seeing the room again. After laying there for about an hour she got up and went downstairs to grab a box and start packing. Meanwhile she opened up her laptop and started a skype call with Zola. They hadn't talked since before Brooklyn went into the hospital.