Chapter 6: Forgive And Forget

"How have tensions been at home?"

"Present and suffocating. I've been avoiding home a lot, but my father is leaving for a week. Something about business in Chicago... Personally I think he is meeting his blonde co-worker, but that just means my mom will be gone playing house with the pool guy." Dr. Murphy silently nodded, eyes downcast at the tablet propped on his desk.  I wondered deeply if he actually gave a single fuck about what I was saying.

"And how does that make you feel?"  I narrowed my eyes. Why the stupid stereotypical questions? I don't pay him to ask me stupid questions!  He is moody today.

"Are you alright Dr. Murphy? Can I just call you David? You seem off today." He looked up from his tablet, locking the screen and folding his hands on his desk.

"You don't pay me to talk about my life Alexander."  I narrowed my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I also don't pay you to pretend to listen to me speak while you play solitaire on your Ipad. I pay you to pick my brain and fucking listen, but if you can't do that I can take my money elsewhere." His eyes widened and he stammered but I held up my hand in an effort to stop his mumbling. 

I stood up, fixing my collar and grabbing my jacket from the chair. "As a word of advice, David, leave your problems outside of this door." I pointed to the dark wooden door to his office. "Because when your problems start interfering with my time I question your value." His eye twitched in irritation and I was almost certain I hat hit a few nerves.

"I'll see ya later Doc, I hope you and your wife resolve things." I nodded and his eyes widened in shock.

"How did you know.... what?" He stammered.

"Your wedding band is missing, the photograph of your wife isn't on your desk, and you have coffee instead of tea. Long night of arguing I assume?" I smiled at his speechlessness. "I'm not as blind as you think I am." And with that I was out of his office and taking long strides to my car.

****

Mornings at Abel's were easily something I looked forward to. It had been about a week and I had spent majority of that time going to my classes and hanging out with Abel. We would always lose track of time together and fall asleep to movies on Netflix or deep sleepy conversations that we invested too much thought in for three in the morning.

His loft had become a sort of sanctuary for me. The relaxed and home-like atmosphere at his place rivaled the tense and empty state of my house. We had turned his loft into our own personal clubhouse and it was a rather nice get away.

Rather than sleep on his perfectly available bed we took all the sheets, couch pillows, and comforters and made a makeshift bed in the middle of his living room. I wouldn't even lie and say sleeping with Abel was perfectly cute and cuddly. It was the complete opposite.

The first night was hell, and I would be the first to admit that. Abel was a restless sleeper. He kicked, he flailed, and he latched onto me like his life was dependent on me being there. Not to mention he got uncomfortably hot, and both of our body heat combined was like sleeping next to a radiator.

It killed me, but progressively the nights got better as I adapted to his sleeping habits. I figured out on the third night that if I tangled our legs together he wouldn't kick in his sleep, which saved me from getting more bruises on my calves. And if I wrapped my arms around him tight enough he would generally stay still and he couldn't hit me in his sleep.

Of course, that didn't solve the heat problem, but I decided to sweat that out... literally and figuratively. It was nice though, having a routine that didn't consist of me waking up alone in a huge oversized bed in an empty oversized house. This was something borderline domestic and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. We did things our own way and on our own time.