Chapter 28: Four You

"I just keep telling myself that everything will be okay."

"Everything will be okay, Alexander." I nodded, toyed with the zipper of my jacket.

"I feel happy. There isn't really a reason to be happy, but the idea that everything is falling into place... I just, I feel so good, like there isn't a thing I can't do..."

"You have every right to be happy Alexander. You deserve every ounce of happiness that you're feeling now and forever."

"It doesn't even feel real though. How do I know it's real?"

"Start by accepting it. Don't deny what you know is already there."

****

There's something about writing your thoughts down that leaves more of an impression on your mind than just simple depressive rumination of thought. I figured I didn't have much time. Abel was already researching different rehabs with his parents, it wouldn't be long before he found a place he was comfortable with. Or as comfortable as a person going to rehab could be.

Him leaving only means me traveling back to New York to continue my semester. A week away would mean playing a lot of catch up with school work and of course Chance could only cover my shifts for so long before my manager decides it's okay to fire me.

That leaves me with only a few more days in California.

Mere days to make everything right and snap everything back into place but there just didn't seem like enough light in the days to get all of that done.

I need to take all the frayed ends of my life and mend them so quickly.

I didn't see any of that happening. Almost felt the need to simply cut the negatives out of my life and begin completely a new because for some reason I feel as if I have been given a second chance and I don't want to fuck it all up again.

I guess I have a few days to see how I do.

****

"Cliffside Malibu looks great." I flipped through the brochure, looking at pictures of seemingly happy people doing yoga, and a beautiful beach with a vibrant sunset.

Abel glanced over from the other brochure he was glancing over and snatched the flimsy paper from my hand and tossed it in the pile to our left. The "fuck no" pile, according to him. "That place will cost me an arm and a leg, Alexander. Plus, it's bougie as hell."

"You act like you don't have money... and like you aren't bougie." I laughed, stopped when he gave me a stern look. "You know I'm more than willing to hel-"

"Finish that sentence and I'm sending you to the other room." He cut me off with an intense stare and a light punch to the side of my thigh. "I don't need your money, Al. I'll make this work." I nodded just to make him feel better, but the moment his parents were struggling he would always have me. "What about this place?" He crawled over stacks of brochures and pamphlets to find a place on my lap.

I leaned over his shoulder to get a better look at the shiny paper. "Promises Drug and Addiction Treatment Center." I read aloud. "Promises Treatment Centers specialize in treating a wide variety of addictions and underlying psychological issues. By treating the whole person and approaching addiction treatment from all angles, our clients are given the opportunity to achieve lasting recovery."

"Sounds good right. No bullshit sunsets, it has five stars on google, great reviews, they have locations in LA, along with a young adult facility and drug detox program. I think I'll give this place a visit." He almost seemed happy talking about it, like he was planning a summer vacation in Hawaii or something fun like that.