Chapter 16: Quality Friends

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"Do you have friends Alexander?" I shrugged spinning in Dr. Murphy's desk chair. He had left for a few minutes to grab coffee and I took the opportunity to sit in his chair. He didn't seem to mind as he settled into the seat on the opposite side of his own desk.

"More than I should." I laughed, messing with the picture frames on the desk. I spun around a few times.

"Why do you say that?" He sipped his coffee, fixing his black hair.

"I'm a shitty friend. I barely remember their names, let alone to text them back." I laughed placing the frame down and halting my spinning. "But they aren't any better." I laughed pulling his I pad towards me. "Is this where you take notes about my mental health?"

"Don't touch that Alexander." He warned lightly, of course I didn't listen, but it's not like I could unlock it anyways. Instead, I opened the camera and began taking pictures. "What do you do with your friends? Or should I say... What do you do for fun?"

"Uhm well, usually things I shouldn't be doing. But I'm past that now... for the most part." I pointed the camera at him. "Smile Doc!"

"I worry about you." He chuckled shaking his head. His words weren't supposed to hold any meaning but the look on his face; the seriousness behind his gaze had me lowering the device.

"You know David... I talk to you more than I talk to my own father."

"We talked about first names Al-"

"Hear me out!" I passed a pleading look, a rare moment of vulnerability but it felt needed. "Just- just know that your opinion of me matters more to me than my father's. And I know it's not right. I shouldn't say anything, but I- sometimes I feel like you actually care. Don't get me wrong; sometimes you're a total dick. But you're the only adult that puts up with me, that listens to me, and cares about me."

"Was that a thank you?" He gave me a wide smile, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"Don't look so smug!" I growled, rolling my eyes as I tried guessing the password on his tablet. "I still think you're a know it all asshole." A moment of silence passed over us before I heard the creak of his chair and the soft thud of his mug being set on the desk.

"I do care, Alexander."

Of course he does. "Now what's the password, I want to play checkers."

****

Stepping into the threshold of my home for the first time in four days felt no different than any of the other times. I was still stricken with that same sense of dread and disdain. I had my phone in my hand; my mind focused on texting Abel back and not crashing into any of the vases or sculptures that lined our household.

I was only here for one thing and one thing only.

I let my feet carry me towards the right wing of our house. It was the least occupied side with most of the empty rooms and offices. But it was also the most likely place to find my mother. She was sitting in the office, on the phone with an assumed business partner. Unlike my father who always sounded angry and annoyed, my mother was calm and stern. I would go as far as to say she was just cold-hearted.

"Mother?" I knocked on the door twice, watching her icy blue eyes, flicker to me for only a brief moment.

"I'm busy Alexander, please." She waved me away with her hand, her words and motions driving a sense of déjà vu coursing through me. This was nothing new to me. This was my childhood.