Fifteen

I was rushing around putting on my dress again, and trying to get out of that house.

"Babe what's going on? What's wrong?" Gray asked, genuinely concerned
"It's my grandma, she's in the hospital." I said, I was too frantic and stressed to even shed a tear.
"Is she okay??"
"No, I have to go though. I'm so sorry"
"No don't be, I'll drive there" I felt his hand softly touch he small of my back, probably just trying to calm me down
"But gray you can't drive"
"I can tonight" he looked me dead in the eyes, and I felt his love. I felt that he cared; so I appreciated it and nodded my head. He walked me to his moms car since his parents took their dads and we got in. He drove pretty well considering he was only 15.

....

"Hi can I see Mary loomy please?" I asked the lady at the front desk. She searched through her papers and must've found one on my grandma.
"Uhm I'm sorry Hun but they are still making sure she is okay for right now. You can wait in the waiting area, she should be ready in about 20 minutes" she explained. I was really upset, but I didn't want to make a scene. I moped over to one of the waiting room chairs, and Grayson followed. He sat down with his elbows resting on his knees. He looked down, probably just because he wasn't sure what to say.
"Bri, do you wanna tell me why your grandma is in the hospital?" He asked anxiously. I just looked up at him with sad eyes
"But you don't have to if you don't want to that's perfectly fine"
"No you deserve to know" I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, hoping the tears wouldn't fall just yet.
"When my grandma was about 9 years old, she was diagnosed with leukemia. She was able to fight it most of her life, but lately it's been hard, obviously with her getting old and all. I'm sure that's some of the reason she's here right now too, she's really old gray. I don't know how much longer she'll last."

He looked stunned. I'm not sure exactly what he was expecting but that was it. He put his hands into fists and leaned on them with his cheeks
"Bri I'm so sorry baby, I'm here" he pulled me into a hug. A few tears ran down my face, but I wasn't bawling my eyes out. After the hug we just sat in silence, waiting to here those magic words.

And soon enough those magic words came. I rushed into that hospital room, and found my grandma lying in the bed with a bunch of ivs hooked up to her.
"Hi grandma" I said softly. She immediately knew my voice
"Hi sweetheart, come in" I ran right over to her and gently wrapped my arms around her. Now I was bawling
"Baby don't cry, it's okay" she rocked me side to side. I caught my breath and sat in the chair next to her bed.
"Grayson sweetie, do you mind if I have a moment with Brianna?" She asked Grayson
"Of course" he said sweetly
"I'll be waiting outside okay babe?" He whispered. I nodded my head and kissed his cheek, then whispered
"Thank you"

Once we heard the door shut, I took my grandmas hand and held it in mine.
"Honey don't be sad" she said. Tears welled up in my eyes
"Grandma I don't want you to go" my voice shook
"I don't think it's that I'm leaving is what's making you sad; I think you just know what's coming next" she was right. I was afraid of what will happen to me after she leaves.
"I'm so scared" now the salty tears fell down my cheek
"Are you happy right now?" She asked me. I thought about it for a second. My grandma will finally be put out of her misery. My sister is enjoying her life, and my friends are always there for me. I have Grayson, one of the best guys in the world. I have a home.
"Yes" I choked
"Then that's all that matters"

We sat in silence for a bit until she started to tell me a story
"You know what the only thing I thought of was before I blacked out?" Such an odd question
"What??"
"You and Emily. This one moment flashed through my mind. You two were jumping on the couch, even after I told you to stop. Then you pushed Emily and she fell and got a bloody nose. You screamed, knowing what bloody noses meant and said 'SHE HAS CANCER GRANDMA NO' and started to cry"
I giggled and shed half happy and half sad tears.
"Why did that flash through your mind?"
"Because I knew how scared you were. And I knew that's how you were going to feel when you found out about me."
"I love you grandma" I said, squeezing her hand
"I love you too Brianna."
"I'm going to call Ethan and ask him to bring Emily here; is that okay?"
"Yeah! But for the time being can you be out there? I just need to rest for a bit."
"Of course" I stood and left the room

When I shut the door I saw Grayson heading towards me with two cups in his hand.
"Hey baby I got you some coffee, and I called Ethan and he's bringing Emily over here now"
"Aw gray thank you so much" I stood on my tippy toes and kissed his forehead.
"But uhm, I really need to tell you something"
His eyes looked into mine so I knew I was ready to listen, and i knew it was time to tell him.

I gestured my hand over to the few chairs for him to sit down, and I followed. When I sat down I made a heavy sigh to get ready to spill the beans.
"So, you know how I told you my grandma has leukemia?" He nodded
"Do you know why I live with her?"
"Uhm not exactly"
"Well my dad left when I Emily was born. He never talked to us again. But my mom died when I was 4, because she had leukemia." His face was blank from shock, but I carried on
"It's a hereditary disease, and since my grandma and my mom have it.." I stopped to see if he could figure it out. He still had a blank expression on his face.
"Grayson. I have leukemia."

-------

WOW CLIFF HANGER DUN DUN DUNNNNNN okay I'm stupid but this story is going to wrap up sort of soon 😁