Chapter 27

Prom night finally came. I was alone in my apartment, watching television. The bell rang and I was expecting Ben wearing pajamas with snacks on his hands. But Ben was wearing a tuxedo and he was holding a dress covered with white sheet.

"Ben, I don't want to go to prom."

"I just wanted to see you in a dress, Megan."

"What if I don't want to?"

"I'll run around naked."

He handed me the dress and I refused. He kept begging and I snatched the dress from him. I slamed my bedroom door and put on the dress. The dress was in a dark blue colour with laces as its short sleeves. I went out and Ben went to me and opened my messy bun. My hair was curled because of the bun and landed on my back.

"Wow." He mouthed.

"Are you happy?"

"Not until we have this last dance my lady." He held me and we started to dance. The music filled my apartment and Ginger didn't bother to stop it. It was magical. I felt like I was Cinderella, dancing with the prince.

"Where did you get this dress?"

"It was Alaska's. She wanted to wear it during her prom night."

"Why did you give it to me?"

"To make it more dramatic." I laughed at his statement. Giving the dress to me was indeed dramatic and in the same time, meaningful.

The night was silent and we were dancing for hours. We eventually got tired and sat down on the couch. Ginger walked and sat on Ben's lap.
I opened my phone and my friends sent me a picture of them together. Stella and Derrick won prom queen and king. I showed Ben the pictures and we started talking about them.
My friends started to spam the group chat with pictures of them and their dates.

"Who's that?" Ben asked as he pointed to Scarlett's date.

"Nick. She told me that she kept him in the friend zone for a long time."

"Well, good for him for breaking out the friend zone."

I laughed and continued scrolling.

"Who's Syaz's date?"

"Ash. He tried to date her from freshman year but finally succeeded on prom night." He laughed at the statement.

The last picture was a picture of Judy and Luke.

"Judy and Luke hit off fast."

"There's this thing called love at first sight."

He looked at me and raised his eyebrow.

"A friend told me."

"You know, they didn't get our picture." He took my hand and set the timer on my phone. After sending a photo of us to our friends, we continued to enjoy the silence. Ginger was tapping my phone. She was still suprised to see herself behind the screen.

"My mom and Alaska died on this date." With that, he started to break down.

I hugged him and he hugged me tightly. He muttered thank you and I hugged him even tighter. We both lost  our loved ones and used to blame ourselves for it.

My phone rang making Ginger jumped. Ben picked her up and I picked my phone. It was Stella.

"Megan, I need your help."