Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Clint hadn't been lying when he said it would be a few hours until we reached whatever safe house he knew about. Sure enough after four hours of flying in silence he finally landed the jet, but when we all got outside we were surprised by what we saw. Instead of the secret SHIELD base that I was sure we had all been expecting we were all standing in front of a large farmhouse.

"What is this place?" Thor asked as we all followed Clint in walking towards it.

"A safe house?" Stark shrugged, not sounding so sure about it himself.

"Let's hope." Clint sighed as he pushed the front door open and led the way inside. "Honey, I'm home." We all just stood inside the doorway awkwardly as a woman came around the corner from another room, a heavily pregnant woman. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

"Hey." The woman smiled as she walked over to Clint and kissed him.

"This is an agent of some kind." Stark said, not seeming to believe his own eyes.

"Gentleman, this is Laura." Clint introduced us all to the woman. I just raised my brows at him at this, glancing between Natasha and myself. I kept my mouth shut though, in no mood to really point out the large flaw in his introduction.

"I know all your names." The woman, Laura smiled kindly at all of us.

"Ooh, incoming." Clint grinned as two small children came running into the room, one boy and one girl.

"Dad!" The girl smiled widely as Clint picked her up.

"I see her!" Clint smiled at the small children and knelt down to kiss the top of the boy's head. "Hey, buddy! How you guys doing? Ooh..."

"These are...smaller agents." Stark said, looking at the children. I only rolled my eyes at him.

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!" Clint smiled at the girl.

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The girl asked him.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" Natasha smiled as she stepped out of our group. The girl gave a small squeal of sorts and ran to Natasha, hugging her.

"Sorry for barging in on you." Steve apologized to Laura.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed." Stark added, giving Clint a look.

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined." Clint shrugged. "He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low."

"Honey. Ah, I missed you." Laura smiled at Clint, nothing but love in her eyes as she looked at him.

"How's little Natasha, huh?" Natasha asked as she walked over to Laura, touching her swollen stomach.

"She's...Nathaniel." Laura corrected her.

"Traitor." Natasha muttered to her stomach. I just shook my head as I looked at the group around me, watching as Thor headed outside with Steve and Stark following behind him.

"Are you okay?" Laura asked, it took me a moment to realize that she was talking to me.

"Do you have a phone I can use?" I asked her, causing Clint, Bruce, and Natasha to both look at me, confused.

"We're supposed to be hidden." Natasha reminded me. "You can't make any calls."

"One call won't hurt anyone." Laura gave me a small smile as she gestured for me to follow her. I followed her out of the kitchen and into the living room where she handed me a phone. "Here you go."