Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"Marcus Daniels was an assistant at a physics lab where they were trying to harness the electrical power of something called Darkforce." Coulson began the briefing for Jemma, Leo, Antoine, and I after they'd all finished with their lie detector tests and had been given their lanyards. "And nothing bad ever happens when you work with something called "Darkforce.""

"It's a form of cosmic radiation, pure negative energy." Leo told us, mainly aiming the information at Antoine who only smirked as he took a gun from Coulson. "Unstable but powerful. You knew that already, didn't you?"

"Daniels was exposed, ended up being able to absorb energy all types." Coulson continued.

"Well, the human brain, the heart, run on electrical impulses." Jemma pointed out.

"Exactly. He can kill with one touch." Coulson warned us.

"And I'm guessing he likes to." Antoine tried to make a joke out of it, but no one laughed. "Do we need to put a bullet in him?"

"Unfortunately, it's not that simple." Coulson shook his head. "He can absorb the energy of most conventional weapons."

"He sounds unstoppable." Jemma frowned.

"So did Loki." I mumbled.

"Like Fitz said, his power's unstable." Coulson ignored my comment. "Last time, we managed to capture him by overloading his system with pure light. Exposing him to more energy than he could absorb at once."

"I'm sure we could engineer some sort of delivery mechanism en route." Leo assured us.

"That's what I was hoping you were gonna say." Coulson nodded before looking at Antoine. "You mind flying, being the specialist on mission?"

"Sir, I'll be whatever you want me to be." Antoine told him.

"That's what I was hoping you were gonna say." With that we all headed out of the office room with me following closely behind Coulson.

"So, what will you need me doing?" I asked him while the others split off to go and grab their bags before we left.

"I want you to help Fitz with a way to expose Daniels to more energy." He told me. "You've seen Stark and Banner at work, I'm sure you've picked up on things."

"If that doesn't work there's always option B." I smirked as flames instantly licked my fingertips.

"Let's save that for a last resort." Coulson shook his head at me, though a small smile passed his lips. "So, Red Eyes?"

"It's a nickname." I was honest.

"Right." He nodded. "I'll meet you at the door, I have something I have to do."

"Alright," I watched as he turned down another hall while I kept heading down the one I was in. When I reached the turn I needed to take though, I found myself running into a tall figure. At the impact I heard a slightly intake of breath, I didn't even have to look up to know who it was.

"Sorry about that...Ward." I apologized as I looked up at the tall bruised man. "Or is it Chandler?"

"Excuse me?" He frowned at the name but I could see the slight worry in his eyes. He had a strong poker face but I was a keen reader.

"Chandler. You know, the name you went by when we met back in ninety-eight?" I tried to refresh his memory. "I always wondered if I'd get to see you again. Wondered if I'd get the chance to kick your ass for leaving like you did."

"I don't know what you're talking about." He shook his head, playing dumb.

"Were you already working for SHIELD back then?" I asked, but I already knew the answer. "Of course you weren't, they didn't even find me until a few years before New York. So, who'd you work for back then?"