chapter eleven

Jade's POV

Holy fuck.

Did I hear that correctly?

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." Michael shifts his weight as he gets up.

He slightly mumbles to himself as he walks away.

"You're a fuck up." he whispers to himself.

"Michael stop."

He whips around and looks at me intensely.

"You're not a fuck up." I get up and slowly move towards him.

"You're the farthest thing from a fuck up, no ones perfect." I give him a half smile as I tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Why do you do this to me?"

"Do what?" I cock my head slightly.

"Just, I don't know. You're fucking gorgeous and I can't have you because you only look at me as a brother, when I haven't been your brother for almost three years now." he sighs deeply, running a hand through his red hair.

"I need a cigarette." he huffs as he walks outside without letting me respond.

I let out a deep groan as I walk outside to see him sitting on the stair steps. I walk over and sit next to him, carefully taking a cigarette from his pack.

"Can I get a light?" I look at him as he stares off into the sky.

He hands me his black lighter without looking at me. I spark up a flame and take in the toxic fumes. I slide his lighter back in his jacket pocket.

"I'm sorry Mikey." I finally speak up.

"For what?"

"Being oblivious to your feelings and treating you like a brother still."

He shrugs it off as if it's nothing, but it's still bothering him. I can tell.

I sit there, inhaling the smoke and exhaling it slowly, I start to shiver from the chilling air.

My teeth begin to chatter against each other and Michael looks at me.

"Are you cold?"

"Yeah but I'm okay."

I continue to chatter as I feel Michael slide his arm around my torso and pull me closer to him. He wraps his jacket around me along with his arm. His body is warm and cozy.

I finish my cigarette and he flicks his down the stairwell.

We both get up, go inside and part our ways. Michael returns to the couch as I scurry off to my room.

I lay in bed for hours, my eyes glued to the ceiling. The darkness takes over and the ceiling is no longer what I look at. Just the pitch black room.

Jasper curls up next to my bed in the floor. He snores softly once he nods off. It's pretty cute but he can get obnoxious about it too.

Suddenly there's a soft knock on my door.

"Yeah?"

Michael opens the door and shuts it behind him.

"Um do you have anymore blankets? it's cold out there.."

"I actually don't, you know what.."

I yank back the covers on my queen sized bed and pat on the mattress.

"Just sleep in here, it's fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Mikey, just lay down."

I lay back down and roll over on my size so my back is to him. I pretend that I'm asleep for a while before he starts talking.

"Jade, I care about you. Deeply. So deeply I don't want you and this Ashton guy talking, but I don't want to take away a chance at happiness you might have just because I'm not happy."

I stay still, a tear slipping from the corner of my eye. I can't believe he actually feels this strongly for me. I always assumed he was a fuck boy or the incest thing was a joke.

All this time I've treated him like a joke.

"I doubt you're awake, but I had to let that out."

I roll over to face him.

"Mikey..."

He looks at me and I don't hesitate to lean over and kiss him.

He puts his large hand on my cheek as he kisses me back. We break away and he just looks at me, semi-confused and semi-relieved.

"I'm so sorry for treating you like a joke."

He lets go of my cheek and looks away.

What? Did I say something?

"I don't want you to feel guilty and feel like you have to choose me over Ashton."

My chest sinks.

Oh shit, Ashton.

It didn't cross my mind when I kissed Michael that I'm sorta exclusive with Ashton.

He can't know.

"Mike?"

"Yeah?"

"Ashton can't know about the kiss."

He nods and sadness washes over his face. I snuggle up to him and lay my head on his chest.

Ashton would be pissed at me right now.

If he knew.